+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 183 of 231 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,830 of 2306

Thread: Ex-Dons

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    and when I started reading Shoot about 1968, that’s what they were called. QED. FACT. END OF.
    Shoot! Harumph. I won’t be too disparaging about it as I’m trying to sell my 1970-71 issues but it’s a bit like relying on the Daily Record for Aberdeen history. I’ve only heard folk outwith Sunderland talk about Rokerites (such as the In Search of the Double!: Sunderland Afc 1912/13 book produced in Hull). The Sunderland Echo https://www.sunderlandecho.com/herit...lained-1886591 witters on about them being the first to use Makem or Mackem in print in the late 1980s. I worked in Peterlee (also Mackem country) in 1976 and all Sunderland supporters referred to themselves by that term then and had for generations. I agree it also refers to the population generally rather than the football team as I was surprised to be asked on a Monday morning after two nights at the local nightclub if I had enjoyed a Mackem tart and was quite unaware of this particular patisserie.

I agree with your analysis of nickname changing for the Black Cats. Although it was associated with Sunderland since the Napoleonic Wars and supposedly said moggy was a lucky charm in the 1937 FA Cup Final, the idea of having supporters vote on a nickname, as they did in 1997 is ****ery of the highest degree.

See James Wilson has scored for Port Vale in the division 4 play off final.

I'd completely forgotten about him.

I’ve still forgotten about him.

But I’ve watched the last 10 minutes and see that that useless tosser Longstaff is playing for Mansfield Town.

Now a boy's tackled him and got sent aff, second yellow.
    Probably was a booking but Wilson did that multiple roll overs post tackle.
    Onybody that does that should be summarily executed.

So, listening to Sportsound for a while, usual sh1te.
    But there's a bit about Deadco winning the Cup Winners Cup in 1972.
    Turned aff, obviously, but not before I heard that Dave Smith was on.
    That's the second time he's popped up on Radio Scotland recently (was he on Off the Ball?).
    Anyway, it got me thinking, he got the jail at one time did he nae?

T'internet is nae beein' any help, I seem to recall it was for fraud when he was working as a taxi driver.
    Or a meringue?

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    That's the second time he's popped up on Radio Scotland recently (was he on Off the Ball?).

T'internet is nae beein' any help, I seem to recall it was for fraud when he was working as a taxi driver.
    Or a meringue?
    I seem to recall (not a reliable source, obviously, at my age) that when we sold him to the dead club it had a lot to do with us helping him out with his gambling debts which his signing on fee would have reduced. He must be about 80 now?

Jimmy/James Wilson just been promoted to English League 1 with Port Vale V Mansfield In Play off Final Matty Longstaff did nothing at all he must be one of the worse signings ever

Or a meringue?
    Yes. In Banchory. Canna mind the details, which seem to have been airbrushed out. His loon has written books about the Dons, and I think has ghosted the current ‘72 one.

Top player. Utter **** as player-manager of Berwick against Keith in the Scottish Cup 79-80. “Used all his experience…” etc etc

That's what I was thinking, every Google alley is blind.

That's what I was thinking, every Google alley is blind.
    I might have reason to dip into the Central Library news archive soon (before the new council shuts it), and will see what I can dig up. Mid-80s period, I think?

Page 183 of 231 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193 ... LastLast