+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible £250,000 into club funds?

Possible £250,000 into club funds?

If Celtic should qualify for the league sections of the Champions league,the other Scottish Premier league teams would be in line for a payout from UEFA in the region of £250,000 for each club 😀

I don't see that as any reason to celebrate to be honest, unless you are someone who has a liking for Celtic that is.

I don't care about the money side of things, I prefer to leave that to those running through club to worry about, and unless we're netting multi millions then that's not going to change.

Also, we make £250k whilst Celtic make at the very least £30M, thus further widening the gap between them and the rest of the Scottish game. Celtic are already lightyears ahead, dominant beyond belief, no one else can lay a glove on them and they are only going to get stronger. For me as a Motherwell fan who wants to see us one day compete with the big clubs and win silverware, an already all conquering Celtic sweeping all before them getting even stronger doesn't bode well.

Unless of course, as I said, you like Celtic that is.

Given that we owe Mr Hutchison around £1M I think an windfall of £250,000 will be welcome.

I certainly have no liking for Celtic, or anything to do with them. They will always be light years away from us no matter what. But if qualifying for the champions league brings us an extra 250,000 then good luck to them.

It'll be most welcome for Mr Hutchison and those running the club but I'll not be popping the Champagne open over it. As I said, the off field finances I prefer to leave to the board to concern themselves about, I'm more concerned with how we fare ON the field and seeing an already dominant Celtic side net a windfall of £30M+ thus widening the gap further and lessening our slim chances of winning something all the more, doesn't bode well.

I can remember a time when many football fans couldn't even tell you their club chairman's name, never mind celebrated paltry 'windfalls' which may help pay off a loan as if we'd just won a cup. Changed days.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    I don't see that as any reason to celebrate to be honest, unless you are someone who has a liking for Celtic that is.

I don't care about the money side of things, I prefer to leave that to those running through club to worry about, and unless we're netting multi millions then that's not going to change.

Also, we make £250k whilst Celtic make at the very least £30M, thus further widening the gap between them and the rest of the Scottish game. Celtic are already lightyears ahead, dominant beyond belief, no one else can lay a glove on them and they are only going to get stronger. For me as a Motherwell fan who wants to see us one day compete with the big clubs and win silverware, an already all conquering Celtic sweeping all before them getting even stronger doesn't bode well.

Lawsteelman unlike yourself my colours are well and truly tied to Motherwell, we as a club with an average attendance of just over 3000 are never going to close the gap on teams like Celtic financial wise,and a club in our position cannot turn its nose up at £250,000 no matter where it comes from.At the end of the day the money could be used to help pay off the loan we owe to Mr Hutchison or enable us to bring in a player who helps us to retain our league status.

"Unlike yourself my colours are well and truly tied to Motherwell"

My interest in Scottish football begins and ends with Motherwell Football Club, so that's that remark blown out of the water right away.

I don't expect us to compete with or close the gap on Celtic, but as I said already, I want us to be the best we possibly can and compete for the domestic cups, something which is potentially doo-able for us. If Celtic are netting over £30m a season and skooshing every single trophy without breaking sweat then that reduces our chances all the more.

This attitude of "at least we'll make some cash from the crumbs of Celtic netting multi millions" is everything that is wrong with football today, too many supporters now can't see past the money side of it and the internal politics rather than being able to put a team out on the park able to compete.

So we get £250k which might help pay off a loan? It might help us bring in another player? It might help us keep a player? Well, the second two might happen, but they just as easily might not, but what is absolutely going to happen is that a Celtic side that is already head and shoulders above ourselves and the rest of the league will now only get stronger and unbeaten domestic trebles like they achieved last season will become the norm thus killing off our hopes of ever repeating 1991 again. But hey, who cares about that? We're gonna make £250k, Ker-ching! Ker-ching!

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post

Agree, I clearly won't be for binning the cheque but this sort of wealth distribution does absolutely nothing for the good of football in the long-term.

What exactly is this mysterious payment? I can understand Celtic getting sponsorship money as they are taking part but why do other teams, like us, also benefit albeit from the crumbs. Does every Scots league club get £250,000 or is it only some? How would it be shown in our accounts? Can anyone provide a link which explains this cash in detail?

Nothing mysterious. Uefa distributes a Solidarity Payment to associations that have a participating club....

See this from last year http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...cottish-rivals

and from Uefa

http://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/stake...d=2229945.html

Solidarity payments to clubs not qualified for UEFA club competitions

The solidarity payments to non-participating clubs via their national associations and/or leagues, formerly amounting to 6.5% of the UEFA Champions League clubs’ share, will now represent 5% of the overall gross revenues of the two competitions. A total of €112m will be distributed to national associations and/or leagues for their clubs, compared to €82.4m in the 2012-15 cycle, thus representing an increase of more than 35%. 80% of this amount will be distributed to national associations and/or leagues with at least one club participating in the UEFA Champions League group stage and 20% to national associations and/or leagues without participating clubs. Only clubs not participating in the group stage of either competition will be entitled to a share of these solidarity payments.

Furthermore, the distribution to national associations and/or leagues will no longer be exclusively based on their market value, but 60% of the available amounts will be distributed in equal shares amongst all national associations and/or leagues and only 40% will follow the market value. This will ensure a fairer distribution of solidarity amounts to European clubs.
    Last edited by jwok; 17-08-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)