+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Chris Woods - should we have gone in for him?

Chris Woods - should we have gone in for him?

I always said this was a potential Steve Bull scenario all over again, letting a player go who clearly has a knack of scoring goals. Going back in for a player who you let go and paying big for him would not sit easy with most. Personally if I'd have come home from work to see we had re-signed Woods I would have been really pleased. Having just seen him scoring for Burnley on MOTD it only endorses my opinion that he knows where the net is, or at the very least busts a gut to get in the right position. We signed HRK who hardly set the world alight in the Championship but let Woods pass us by.
    I hope we don't regret this but I fear we may have missed a trick.

The big difference between hrk and wood is 15m big ones.

It's in the last couple of years wood has been prolific in tier 2.

For someone still relatively young he has had a lot of clubs, so a few teams have found him to be surplus to requirements.

I said a few weeks ago I'd have him over rondon't, but I'd have a turd up front instead of rondon't, so that isn't saying much.

We'll see how many wood gets.

Re rondon't that chance at the end going for a throw in said it all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Minn Junta View Post
    I always said this was a potential Steve Bull scenario all over again, letting a player go who clearly has a knack of scoring goals. Going back in for a player who you let go and paying big for him would not sit easy with most. Personally if I'd have come home from work to see we had re-signed Woods I would have been really pleased. Having just seen him scoring for Burnley on MOTD it only endorses my opinion that he knows where the net is, or at the very least busts a gut to get in the right position. We signed HRK who hardly set the world alight in the Championship but let Woods pass us by.
    I hope we don't regret this but I fear we may have missed a trick.
    he would have thrived under pulis,that said it is a risk at 15 big ones on any lower league players,some will come off others don't.we will watch with interest,should we have sold him?how many of our cast offs are doing quite well afterwards,theres a few

It's hard, you can't hang on to them all, Kemar Roofe's another one I'm watching with interest. They need to go down a few levels to learn their trade before coming back better, like Pulis is saying about Leko and co, only problem is it tends to take 3-4 seasons and several clubs before they show any signs of being good enough, Prem clubs won't wait that long. Back to Woods, I reckon he's a better bet than waisting money on the likes of Brown Idaye, like all Albion fans I'll be watching with interest.

Quote Originally Posted by The Minn Junta View Post
    It's hard, you can't hang on to them all, Kemar Roofe's another one I'm watching with interest. They need to go down a few levels to learn their trade before coming back better, like Pulis is saying about Leko and co, only problem is it tends to take 3-4 seasons and several clubs before they show any signs of being good enough, Prem clubs won't wait that long. Back to Woods, I reckon he's a better bet than waisting money on the likes of Brown Idaye, like all Albion fans I'll be watching with interest.
    Many on here know that I rated Wood highly from being 17 years old, playing away at Peterborough and managing to make Lukewarm Moore look good by creating two goals for him.

Wood has football intelligence but he's now added goals to his game.

We've wasted circa £30 million on Ideye and Rondon for the paltry return of less than 20 league goals over three and a bit seasons, nobody can convince me that given 120+ matches that Chris Wood or even Simon Cox couldn't have done better, the truth is we could've played G Mac at centre forward for 120+ matches and he'd probably have scored 30-40 goals!

We never seem willing to take a punt on a Danny Ingles type from a Championship side and to give them the 25 matches in which to fail that we gave Rondont last season.

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieBlood View Post
    The big difference between hrk and wood is 15m big ones.

It's in the last couple of years wood has been prolific in tier 2.

For someone still relatively young he has had a lot of clubs, so a few teams have found him to be surplus to requirements.

I said a few weeks ago I'd have him over rondon't, but I'd have a turd up front instead of rondon't, so that isn't saying much.

We'll see how many wood gets.

Re rondon't that chance at the end going for a throw in said it all.
    The difference wouldn't have been 15m at the point when we signed HRK.
    I fail to see any forward scoring goals in this Albion team.

What striker in their right mind would want to join us. Play alone up front and, if you're lucky, get one chance in the whole game.

I never rated Wood god enough for the highest level. I may be yet proved wrong, we shall see. He scored a few decent goals for us but they were at a much lower level, and against inferior opposition.
    But it will be interesting to see how he fares with Burnley.

I'm with '55 on this one. I always that he would be a good championship player but no more. However, I could very well be wrong. Only time will tell. Whether we should have gone for him? Again, I'm not sure. I'm a definite maybe.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)