+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A little trip into Non-league football

A little trip into Non-league football

During my stay in Es*** with my son and his family over the weekend and prior to the big game at Wembley, we decided to go and have a look at his local team in Billericay who were home at New Lodge against Burgess Hill Town in the Bostik league. The ground has or is having £2m spent on it by their ambitious chairman who has modernised the ground a fair bit and also put down a pitch that seemed in excellent condition.
    Boosted by ex league players Paul Konchesky and Jermaine Pennant( remember them ? ) ' Rickay as they say up there coasted to a 6-1 win with both players playing a big part in the victory. In fact you wonder why they weren' t playing at a higher level. The visitors had very little to offer and the home team's sub Cunnington scored a hat trick in the second half after coming off the bench.
    A crowd of over 1100 must have been pleased at the final outcome and after today's result at Thurrock they are deserving of their top of the table position.
    Next Saturday the BBC are streaming their FA Cup Qualifier against Didcot Town live at 12.30 on the 'net. If you are at a loose end have a look at them. I am sure it will be a good game. Their chairman has put his money where his mouth is and I believe they are four or five seasons away from the football league. Could they be another Fleetwood or Morecambe in the making.? Only time will tell but I am sure they will be trying like hell to join lesser fashionable teams to make the leap into the football league.

One to watch out for in our area is AFC Fylde, it's not that long since they were playing Clitheroe at level 8, they're in the National League now. There's some serious money behind them, they'll be a league club inside two to three years, you can put your money on it.

Always say I'll take a trip to my local team Bromley only a 15 minute walk away, been to their function rooms a few times but never made it to a match yet but always look out for their score.

Fylde beat Barrow 1-0 on Monday night and have made a decent start to their first season in the National League.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)