+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raising the bar

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Raising the bar

We have had a decent team for a few years now, and while it was pleasurable watching the likes of Olsson, Mulumbu, et al, this transfer window has seen the bar raised a few notches.
    With the signing of Gibbs, we now have 5 full England internationals on our books. Add to that the exciting yet unknown quality of Oliver Burke and the loan deal for the PSG man with the funny name, then fans expectations will be high.
    We have tried over the years to improve on our squad, every signing had to be better than what we had. It has been a series of small steps that have seen us become a solid outfit.
    But this window it has been a giant leap. A giant leap of faith? Maybe. But it has raised the bar significantly in terms of expectation.
    Pulis said he wanted to build something that will last here. He also said that the signings he makes must be better than the players we have. Lets hope they give him another extension on his contract.
    Megson said we would be excited. He wasn't wrong.
    I think we still may lose Evans tomorrow, but i wouldn't be as disappointed as i would have been a few weeks ago, and if that is the case there may be more incomings.
    If he stays...well...things could be worse i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    We have had a decent team for a few years now, and while it was pleasurable watching the likes of Olsson, Mulumbu, et al, this transfer window has seen the bar raised a few notches.
    With the signing of Gibbs, we now have 5 full England internationals on our books. Add to that the exciting yet unknown quality of Oliver Burke and the loan deal for the PSG man with the funny name, then fans expectations will be high.
    We have tried over the years to improve on our squad, every signing had to be better than what we had. It has been a series of small steps that have seen us become a solid outfit.
    But this window it has been a giant leap. A giant leap of faith? Maybe. But it has raised the bar significantly in terms of expectation.
    Pulis said he wanted to build something that will last here. He also said that the signings he makes must be better than the players we have. Lets hope they give him another extension on his contract.
    Megson said we would be excited. He wasn't wrong.
    I think we still may lose Evans tomorrow, but i wouldn't be as disappointed as i would have been a few weeks ago, and if that is the case there may be more incomings.
    If he stays...well...things could be worse i suppose.
    Good post 55 .

I remember stellar deadline day signings such as this fella!

https://res.cloudinary.com/jpress/im...e/86204576.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I remember stellar deadline day signings such as this fella!

https://res.cloudinary.com/jpress/im...e/86204576.jpg
    Paul Williams ( in the picture )

Kwame Ampadu

Winston White

All signed on deadline day 1991 by Bobby Gould.

Oh how I hanker for those days.

I wonder how much our Technical director Nick Hammond has influenced things, the quality of signings have improved since he came in, after some truly awful decisions post Dan Ashworth.

Still...what to do with Chadli?
    And is Rondon going to be persisted with.
    Surely JRod has to fill the front position...which we have so far not really addressed.....
    But certainly progress....expect an improvement on last year....Europe dream is back on.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    Still...what to do with Chadli?
    And is Rondon going to be persisted with.
    Surely JRod has to fill the front position...which we have so far not really addressed.....
    But certainly progress....expect an improvement on last year....Europe dream is back on.....
    I will be amazed if Chadli is still with us by the end of tomorrow night. The money we get will help to offset some of the costs of the transfers in this window and I think he isn't sure of a starting place anymore.

Superb post 55.
    All concerned with these signings deserve a pat on the back....just hope it shows on the paddock...!
    No doubt it will....the thing that stands out to me is the depth of quality....and a left back to boot....yay!!!
    Go Baggies....
    Have a great day...

First team sheet after window shuts:

1. Foster
    2. Nyom or Dawson
    3. Gibbs
    4. Barry
    5. Hegazi or GMac
    6. Evans
    7. Philips
    8. Krychowiak
    9. JRod
    10. Burke or Chadli
    11. Brunt

Subs: Rondon, Yacob, Morrison, Myhill, HRK and any of the "ors" above.

Exciting times - and I take back my criticisms of the Board. Maybe we have some ambition after all...COYB

Quote Originally Posted by Barrera View Post
    First team sheet after window shuts:

1. Foster
    2. Nyom or Dawson
    3. Gibbs
    4. Barry
    5. Hegazi or GMac
    6. Evans
    7. Philips
    8. Krychowiak
    9. JRod
    10. Burke or Chadli
    11. Brunt

Subs: Rondon, Yacob, Morrison, Myhill, HRK and any of the "ors" above.

Exciting times - and I take back my criticisms of the Board. Maybe we have some ambition after all...COYB
    No Livermore or McLean?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)