+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Fitba Books

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    It’s in the Third Lanark book mentioned above. It might even have been at Boghead?
    Yeah, they got humped 5-1 at Boghead. Drew took targeted abuse, being from Alexandria & still nurtures a hatred for The Sons that lasts to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Good friend & Hearts Hall of Famer Drew Busby (P178 Medals 0) scored the last ever goal for Third Lanark

Just in case it ever pops up in a pub quiz
    I actually knew that.
    No idea how or why I had that nugget of info in my head, but it was lurking there.

He and Drew Jarvie then formed a lethal partnership up front for Airdrie before going their separate ways.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    I actually knew that.
    No idea how or why I had that nugget of info in my head, but it was lurking there.

He and Drew Jarvie then formed a lethal partnership up front for Airdrie before going their separate ways.
    They’re both still quite pally. The Hearts hall of famer (2 relegations 0 medals) speaks very fondly of the Aberdeen team from the 70s. Said that the classiest player he ever played against was Martin Buchan, Henning Boel was the hardest & Zoltan Varga was the most skilful.

Funnily enough, the one player he didn’t rate so much was a certain W. Miller

Would he have played much against Miller?

A very young Miller perhaps.

It was a very good team in the early seventies.
    Very good indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Would he have played much against Miller?

A very young Miller perhaps.

It was a very good team in the early seventies.
    Very good indeed.
    He played for the Argos Huns until 79. Willie was already at his best by then, but Hearts weren’t in the top division in 77/78, and 79/80.

Edit: the 70/71 squad is about my most favourite ever. I constantly wonder how they’d have competed had they been the 84 squad (nowithstanding that Davie Robb would have been in his 40s by then).
    Last edited by 57vintage; 11-01-2022 at 02:48 PM.

He reckoned if you played two through the middle up front, Miller was f*cked. He likes to mention one game at Pittodrie where they scored from the start, doing just that. I’m not old enough to argue individual performances but I often point to Millers medal collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    He reckoned if you played two through the middle up front, Miller was f*cked. He likes to mention one game at Pittodrie where they scored from the start, doing just that. I’m not old enough to argue individual performances but I often
    point to Millers medal collection.
    The only home defeat I can remember by those losers at that time was the one Busby refers to, when Dennis McQuade scored a late winner from waaay out in a 1-2 defeat for us. We kicked their manky arses that day, couldn’t get the ball in the net.

It wasn’t us who were relegated that season, incidentally.

http://www.afcheritage.org/matches/f...9&squad=Senior
    Last edited by 57vintage; 11-01-2022 at 03:08 PM.

Aye, remember that game.
    I recall they scored early we "dominated possession" (to lapse into w@nky modern parlance) and equalised second half.
    Looked a shoe in for the win until the former Harry Wragg pinged in a worldie into the Beach End from about Ardarroch Place.
    Leighton was in the goal and I mind him looking affa p1ssed off afterwards.
    Or a meringue?

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    Aye, remember that game.
    I recall they scored early we "dominated possession" (to lapse into w@nky modern parlance) and equalised second half.
    Looked a shoe in for the win until the former Harry Wragg pinged in a worldie into the Beach End from about Ardarroch Place.
    Leighton was in the goal and I mind him looking affa p1ssed off afterwards.
    Or a meringue?
    That’s pretty much it.

I’m sure the memory kept them warm and was a comfort during their stay in the boondocks of a lower tier, through future relegations/administration, and in the hours of 3 -10 May 1986 (inclusive).

It was Leighton letting in a long range effort that made me chuck supporting Scotland. 1-1 at home to Norway, we’d just qualified for the World Cup & the fans leaving Hamish were complaining about the useless sheep shagger in goals.

F*ck off Hamish

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast