+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Fitba Books

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    It was Leighton letting in a long range effort that made me chuck supporting Scotland. 1-1 at home to Norway, we’d just qualified for the World Cup & the fans leaving Hamish were complaining about the useless sheep shagger in goals.

F*ck off Hamish
    That was the game in which WM suffered the injury that ultimately finished him. Dirty Noggy *****

Quote Originally Posted by krakowdon View Post
    That was the game in which WM suffered the injury that ultimately finished him. Dirty Noggy *****
    I always thought it was the away fixture in Norway when he got that injury.

Why has my phone changed Hapmden to Hamish? You spend all year not posting about a Hamish, then two appear at once

I’ll infringe the parochial thread title to introduce a fitba book that isn’t ‘Scottish’. In the latest issue of the magnificent Strong Words, ‘Your Show’ by Ashley Hickson-Lovence is reviewed. It’s “an original take on what drives the whistle-blower” in “a novelised second-person impression of the life of Uriah Rennie, Britain’s only ever top-flight black referee, who reffed in the Prem from 1997 to 2009”. Sounds like an interesting take. I’ll request it now from the City Library Service as an insurance against any post local election political ****ing around with this essential service.

Strong Words is far more approachable than TLS or LRB, and I’m on my third year of subscription.
    Details here: http://www.strong-words.co.uk/
    or e-mail Ed Needham, the man who reads and reviews everything that makes up the contents. He’ll even send you a complimentary trial copy.
    info@strong-words.co.uk

Bloody Casuals - Jay Allan

Picked this up in the Library on Saturday, had never seen it amongst the local books before so took it out and gave it a read.

I am sure some on here know fare more about the casuals than I ever did and also assume that some on here that had first hand experience of this. I was/am very much a 'scarfer' and a tad too young for this era. My lack of sartorial awareness would have stopped me being one anyway even if I didn't have a yellow stripe down my back and could fight my way out of a wet paper bag.

Never going to trouble the prizes in the literature awards, but I found it a decent account of a much simpler time. Although the casuals were the reason my Ma wouldn't let me go to the fitba as a kid in the 80s.

The only time I ever came across the casuals were during fights in Guild street whilst waiting for the bus hame with my Ma after being dragged shopping when I was a kid and I would be ****ting myself. I once seen a Jute running over Guild street away from Aberdeen casuals only for him to be knocked down by a car. I remember him picking himself up and trying to get into the saftey of the train station and him being clearly hurt to my 10 year old eyes.

The most surprising thing was reading one or two things I had heard over the years from people I knew or worked with and put it down to them speaking shyte only to read some of these in a book and to see their 'names' in it.

Must have been one of the first books about the subject of football violence, a genre which was very popular in the 90s.

Vain Games of No Value? -- an epic tome on the social history of the game. It has wider scope than just Scotland, but the chapters on Scottish football are interesting nonetheless and of course there's a fair amount of Scottish influence throughout. Goes into some depth on things like association rules, clubs, professionalism, wartime, women's game, pools, Sunday football, wage caps, etc. Not a quick read and at times not a page-turner, but I found it engaging and insightful all the same

Picked up in a charity shop today. Jack Webster- The History of AFC, from 1978 and from 1987 - The Aberdeen Football Companion by Clive Leatherdale.

Looking forward to reading both of these.

I see Pacman has got a book out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeDon View Post
    Picked up in a charity shop today. Jack Webster- The History of AFC, from 1978 and from 1987 - The Aberdeen Football Companion by Clive Leatherdale.

Looking forward to reading both of these.
    The Jack Webster book is ace.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    The Jack Webster book is ace.
    Willie Miller borrowed my original 1978 hardback copy around 1981,
    and it was never returned. I got the re-mix which was updated around 85.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Willie Miller borrowed my original 1978 hardback copy around 1981,
    and it was never returned. I got the re-mix which was updated around 85.
    I assume you mean God when you say Willie Miller borrowed it?
    If so, how did that happen if you don't mind me asking.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast