+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Fitba Books

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeDon View Post
    I assume you mean God when you say Willie Miller borrowed it?
    If so, how did that happen if you don't mind me asking.
    Aye, the self-same. I had a flat in Orchard Street at the time, and Willie lived roon the corner at 489 King St.

The wifie across the road from us who had befriended The Spouse looked after their nipper (Victoria?) when 6 and Mrs 6 were oot, and I think that The Best Penalty Box Defender In The Known Cosmos had mentioned it and I told her he could borrow my copy.

Nae only can he nae fry fash, he’d be a shïte librarian.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Aye, the self-same. I had a flat in Orchard Street at the time, and Willie lived roon the corner at 489 King St.

The wifie across the road from us who had befriended The Spouse looked after their nipper (Victoria?) when 6 and Mrs 6 were oot, and I think that The Best Penalty Box Defender In The Known Cosmos had mentioned it and I told her he could borrow my copy.

Nae only can he nae fry fash, he’d be a shïte librarian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    I see Pacman has got a book out.
    Where you seeing this?

Good on him though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeDon View Post
    Where you seeing this?

Good on him though.
    He always said he was going to write one.

I remember a bit on the BBC website about his travels.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Thanks for posting Mason.

I think I'll give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    The Jack Webster book is ace.
    Isn't it just.

Read it today on a day off and boy did he do the club proud in their 75th year.

I'm pretty ignorant with our early history, but Webster made the story of 1903 to 1978, come to life in an enjoyable way through his writings.

Loved that chapter about our old scout Bobby Calder, in particular.

John McMasters books was read last night.

A strange book if being honest as it tells of his life and fitba career, mainly the dons and all good, but then goes off into the realms of business speak and how motivation from the game is used in business, which is not really my thing.

Needed a better proofreader too. Some glaring errors scattered throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Great read from Pacmannie get in quick noo many left I think

Got a cracking book out of the Library last weekend called 'Lifted Over The Turnstiles', which is about Scottish fitba grounds, old and new.

A few of cracking pictures of Pittodrie in it too, including one of Hibs game with over 40k squeezed in with folk sitting up on the roof of the Merkland. I can't even begin to get my head around all those folk turning up for an Aberdeen game and I know that was not even our record crowd. There is also another with a hell of a lot of car park spaces next to it.

Most grounds are covered in it and some good stories to be found at most grounds. A couple of pictures of East End Park in the late 60s, where after a huge Celtic support entered all the crush barries had simply gave way to the pressure and had been buckled out of shape. Which seems to have been a regular occurrence back then.

A story in the Arbroath section that Rangers complained the Arbroath pitch was not quite the right size after Arbroath had beat them in the cup, with the lichties getting kicked out. Me thinks the scum wouldn't have complained if they had won the game.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast