+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Argument

New Argument

I don't know about you, but I loved the Brexit and fracking arguments. But I think that they have been done to death.

So, how about Trident?

I reckon it's the biggest white elephant that we have.

Cost of renewal is £41 billion plus a further £142 billion running costs over it's lifetime.

It is not a deterrent to our current enemies, it will never be used....just get rid and spend it on something worthwhile.

We are simply in a "mines bigger than yours" situation and it's about time we grew up.

Yes,and maybe after that the new high speed rail line ..

Absolutely Alf, another big and very expensive white elephant.

We have done this one to death before but I am happy to resurrect it...

Only one thing to say really, it's phooking madness.

The Russians can find them with ease.
    One is at sea, two are in for repairs.
    We will never use the nuclear warheads because we can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo when we fire a missile...
    The software has already been hacked, I can find it on Facebook!
    We can't afford to run one never mind three!
    Terrorists can walk into the shipyards unopposed and blow them up!
    Theresa may won't provide the Skippers with a credit card to fill the phooking things up!
    The estimated cost has already tripled and will triple again before Wet Spam arrive on Saturday, fresh from overnighting in Cheshire.
    We are short of sailors to actually sail them.
    Best just pretend they are operational and slap them in dry dock somewhere.
    The Russians will never know because Trump will have probably nuked them before they find out!

Attachment 6780

War Games - Fear Games - Power Games.....your government will protect you - being they're more caring than other governments...who say the same thing to their people about others. It's a Mind F@ck

...to Hell with them - all.

Blame your MPs
    The final decision to commit to the Successor programme was approved on 18 July 2016 when the House of Commons voted to renew Trident by 472 votes to 117.

Construction started in late 2016 at the Barrow-in-Furness shipyard operated by BAE Systems Maritime – Submarines. The first submarine is originally expected to enter service in 2028.
    Four boats will be built - in Dreadnought is the first.

Today, six countries deploy some form of nuclear-powered strategic submarines: the United States, Russia, France, the United Kingdom, China, and India.
    Several other countries, including Argentina and Brazil have ongoing projects in different phases to build nuclear-powered submarines.

Conqueror is the only nuclear-powered submarine ever to have engaged an enemy ship with torpedoes, sinking the cruiser ARA General Belgrano with two Mark 8 torpedoes during the 1982 Falklands War.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_submarine

Now if Kim Jong Un decided he wanted one are you happy for him to sail within launching distance.

Spurious argument is that one OC, Rocket Man can hit us from his home base. The UK is nearer to Rocket Man than he is to Los Angeles!

Our bloody government are already talking about sending a DWP "Rapid Response" team into BAE Warton to help them secure training and benefits for when 2000 of them become redundant and yet we still want to spunk billions on Trident?

It's phooking madness!

Attachment 6783

I suppose the Trident argument depends on where you live..If you asked the people of Cumbria about it,you would get an overwhelming response in favour as there is a 7000 workforce in Barrow and another 10000 people sub contracted out.. It's an awful lot of people to be made redundant...My own thoughts are its a waste of money..

It's not something that concerns me much one way or the other, but it must be a tricky one for lefties. They're already having a moan about job losses at BAE, but these are mainly due to Saudi Arabia not buying the Typhoons they were expected to, but lefties are against us selling arms to the Saudis aren't they, so they should be celebrating the job losses shouldn't they ?

Same with Trident, the Lefties want to scrap it, well scrap it if you want, but don't moan when thousands lose their jobs and whole areas of the country are blighted with unemployment. You can't have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    It's not something that concerns me much one way or the other, but it must be a tricky one for lefties. They're already having a moan about job losses at BAE, but these are mainly due to Saudi Arabia not buying the Typhoons they were expected to, but lefties are against us selling arms to the Saudis aren't they, so they should be celebrating the job losses shouldn't they ?

Same with Trident, the Lefties want to scrap it, well scrap it if you want, but don't moan when thousands lose their jobs and whole areas of the country are blighted with unemployment. You can't have it both ways.
    Sinkov
    But didn’t the lefties vote for Trident
    59 or so of the 117 objectors were SNP from the country where these things are based and serviced and where lots would be put out of work. So at most then 58 might have been Labour though I guess Lib Dem’s made a significant number too.

There seems to have been a number of incidents on submarines between male officers and female crew and in one case the other way round. Maybe we should join up?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)