+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: winning when you play badly

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    being a good technical footballer is not enough, as some of our premiership loan players have often demonstrated in the past.
    That's a really good point - Lingard being a good example, bagged 2 goals last night but couldn't get in our side.

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    That's a really good point - Lingard being a good example, bagged 2 goals last night but couldn't get in our side.
    Having the right blend of players in around him helps a lot in coming a long way in helping his development and that was something we didn’t have at that time to get the best out of Lingard.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    And to be fair he was - siege mentality, pushing players and making teams tight at the back.
    Alas it got to his head and he thought just because he was the manager, he was bigger than anything else at the club, maybe even the club himself.
    He made demands and when his demands were not met....well you know the history anyway.

But his philosophy then wasn't wrong..
    BUT, you can achieve the same with a smile on your face, Jim Smith's 95/96 promotion team was quite capable of battening down the hatches at 1-0 or even 1-1 away (I went to more away matches that season than any other season and being bored and frozen to death at two away draws in a few days midwinter) but Jim didn't achieve his ends without losing his friendly man of the people persona , he knew he'd stumbled across a 'golden ticket' and he gave back as much as he got out for a few seasons - the most liked manager since BC in my opinion. Didn't stop him telling the likes of Stimac, VDL and Carsley to go and stomp on a few opponents though

I dont think one can argue with wee Billys record at this level, its just his personality, wee man syndrome its called in Scotland where his ego persuaded him that he was better than he was and felt people did not recognise his achievements.

His latest outburst about the conspiracy against him illustrates the paranoia and the "it not my fault" approach.

If we keep winning more games than we lose and if we manage the odd footballing master class and finish 6th or higher this season, then Rowett will have produced all that can be expected of him.

Hopefully we wont be 5th in feb and Mel decides to sack him for not playing "the derby way", lets get a winning mentality and worry about the style later.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I dont think one can argue with wee Billys record at this level, its just his personality, wee man syndrome its called in Scotland where his ego persuaded him that he was better than he was and felt people did not recognise his achievements.

His latest outburst about the conspiracy against him illustrates the paranoia and the "it not my fault" approach.

If we keep winning more games than we lose and if we manage the odd footballing master class and finish 6th or higher this season, then Rowett will have produced all that can be expected of him.

Hopefully we wont be 5th in feb and Mel decides to sack him for not playing "the derby way", lets get a winning mentality and worry about the style later.
    I'm tired of this Derby way, Forest Way, Spurs way or Newcastle way. It's a results business, get the results period.

Rowett will get you into the play-offs from what I've noticed the last 4-5 games. Let's drink to that, shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    I'm tired of this Derby way, Forest Way, Spurs way or Newcastle way. It's a results business, get the results period.

Rowett will get you into the play-offs from what I've noticed the last 4-5 games. Let's drink to that, shall we?
    Mm I think we shall be able to judge that better after the Norwich and leeds games, we have got to avoid losing to these teams to have realistic promotion hopes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)