+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Some thoughts from yesterday's game

Some thoughts from yesterday's game

Went to the game yesterday with a Brentford supporter. For 70 minutes I watched a BFC team that had very little intention of attacking with any belief or commitment. I saw a team that got 10 men behind the ball and invited Brentford on.
    A number of things worried me:
    1. Lack of consistent closing down, especially as we were inviting on.
    2. Inability to keep possession
    3. Lack of movement and creativity
    4. Way too much hit and hope to comparatively short forwards
    5. Why does no one want the ball from a throw in? Too static. Yiadom booked for time wasting but it was because he was trying to find someone on his team who was prepared to move into space for a throw! This is nuts.
    6. George Moncur going through the motions
    7. Davies kicking long most of the time. The the one time he threw out intelligently to Barnes, the lad went on a run at pace cutting through the defence only for a final touch to let him down. Kicking long was usually pointless.
    A few things pleased me:
    1. Lindsay was immense at the back - just needs to stop hitting long all the time when playing out
    2. Davies had a decent game
    3. Last 20 mins we almost started to play football and believe we could nick it.

My lasting thought is that we are toothless at the moment. On this showing, Thiam is not the answer and neither is Bradshaw if we're going to keep playing this way.

A disappointing game for me but with a luckily acceptable outcome.

Hi. I thought I would add my thoughts before I go to bed.
    Agree with most of that. I thought Davies, Lindsey, Pearson and Pinnock, who replaced the injured Pearson were all excellent. They were the main reason we came away with a point. Joe Williams battled in midfield, Gardener strolled around. Bradshaw does battle, but gets very few quality balls played to him. For 20 minutes in the second half we did look like a football team, and Moncur showed flashes of brilliance, but when it mattered his touch or final ball were woeful.
    We are carrying too many players. Thiam and Ugbo are not the answer. So give Victor Adeboyejo and/or Jacob Brown a run, or off the bench. They may save us money, or by the second week in January we may have to spend to get a quality striker. My money is on the latter.
    I hope we stay up so that I can go to Griffin Park next season. The pub (The Griffin), the fans, the stewards and the old ground are great.

Interesting reading chaps. Some proper football talk forra change

Still concerns me that we are standing off teams, kicking it long and not having many options on the ball. Hallmarks of a relegation contender really. Obviously Hecky feels that the personnel at his disposal aren't capable of playing a certain way.

It'd be great to see some pressing and intensity back in our play though, we've scored some excellent team goals this season so we can pass it when we want to

I think we miss Isgrove. He's the missing link.

You are the weakest link Mr Isgrove, goodbye!! (well what do you expect with a name like Lloyd lol)
    I think hes been frustratingly bad with injuries this season and yes we do and have missed him, lets hope his injury luck changes soon.
    Speaking of two short strikers up front, I think a so called target man has got to be on Hecky's and ours christmas/new years present list.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    You are the weakest link Mr Isgrove, goodbye!! (well what do you expect with a name like Lloyd lol)
    I think hes been frustratingly bad with injuries this season and yes we do and have missed him, lets hope his injury luck changes soon.
    Speaking of two short strikers up front, I think a so called target man has got to be on Hecky's and ours christmas/new years present list.
    have to wait and see who's who and who's doing what but i'll be surprised if Hecky gets a say in whos coming thats if he is still here come January.