+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Bristol absolutely smashed by Villa.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayamonteblade View Post
    I get what you are saying TT - but is it realistic to give an employee free hand to spend as much money as he wants.........did you do this in any of your previous roles?
    I agree it would not be normal Aya, but , then again, CW is far from normal isn't he?

He's proved he's thrifty, has an eye for a player, can get the best out of them and won't buy the wrong types so, if the board don't/don't want to invest in the club to the extent of his aambitions, more fool them. It's recognising an exceptional talent and backing it that's the real skill.

In my previous roles I was the one the board gave the money to!

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlo70 View Post
    Mr wilder is playing a fantastic bluffing game in interviews, acting like he as no money to spend,all the clubs listening will think twice about hiking the price of the players wilder wants. hes a very cunning man is our chris. be patient and wait n see no need to get ya knickers in a twist before events have happened.hess not gonna come out n say hes got loads a money to spend is he.

do i believe that lol erm
    I'd be inclined to agree... had we ended the August window with Leonard. I'm not buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by tomytony View Post
    I agree it would not be normal Aya, but , then again, CW is far from normal isn't he?

He's proved he's thrifty, has an eye for a player, can get the best out of them and won't buy the wrong types so, if the board don't/don't want to invest in the club to the extent of his aambitions, more fool them. It's recognising an exceptional talent and backing it that's the real skill.

In my previous roles I was the one the board gave the money to!
    I don't think it's about giving him a free hand to spend as much as he wants, either. In my job, I get given a budget that is appropriate for the things I need to spend money on - and I tell them how much I need to obtain the goods and services I need. Some of them are expensive, but they're necessary for getting the job done, and thankfully the powers that be recognise that. Sure, I economise where I can, and I don't want to spend money unnecessarily either (at least partly because it has a direct impact on my end of year bonus) but if I ever got to the point where my bosses were telling me I couldn't have the money I needed to effectively do my job, I'd leave and go somewhere that would give it to me.

Exactly the same with Tufty. He knows what he needs to make us effective, and if the board are telling him he can't have that, then something is deeply wrong.

It’s about context really. The ambition after promotion was to consolidate with an anticipated mid table finish.
    What’s happened is way beyond those expectations and the current squad has a realistic chance of the play offs with no further investment being made.
    With that in mind McCabe and the moneymen will look at this scenario and think we can invest sensibly and probably make the play offs which is beyond all initial expectations or we can invest heavily and not necessarily get any better than play offs. So from a business perspective it would make sense to them to provide a smaller budget and rely on Wilder continuing to perform miracles.
    The real issue comes along if Wilder actually achieves the miracle of promotion, then some heavy investment would be needed to stand a chance of surviving.
    As it stands one or two permanent signings and two or three decent loans can be arranged relatively cheaply and would put us in a real strong position to make the play offs

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyEdge View Post
    It’s about context really. The ambition after promotion was to consolidate with an anticipated mid table finish.
    What’s happened is way beyond those expectations and the current squad has a realistic chance of the play offs with no further investment being made.
    With that in mind McCabe and the moneymen will look at this scenario and think we can invest sensibly and probably make the play offs which is beyond all initial expectations or we can invest heavily and not necessarily get any better than play offs. So from a business perspective it would make sense to them to provide a smaller budget and rely on Wilder continuing to perform miracles.
    The real issue comes along if Wilder actually achieves the miracle of promotion, then some heavy investment would be needed to stand a chance of surviving.
    As it stands one or two permanent signings and two or three decent loans can be arranged relatively cheaply and would put us in a real strong position to make the play offs
    I don't think you can tailor the spending to the relative strength of the likely PL assault though JJ.

The play offs, as we all know, are a lottery, spending big ( silly) money has no more guarantees than a modest budget - just look at S6 and Huddersfield last year. If spend was the criteria then pigs, as they all thought, were already there.

When the chance of competing meaningfully comes along I think you have to grasp it, at the level you feel comfortable with, and take the consequences.

If you get there with a modest spend then you have to build when you get there and, a bit like WBA and , latterly Burnley,, use the ever increasing parachute payment to recover and go again with much enhamced income levels.

If you have spent loads (eg pigs) then, maybe, you don't need as much when you get there but I am sure we would all struggle to name one of the piggies big 'stars' who would cut it in the PL so that neagtes the big spend theory to a degree.

Of course there are exceptions to those cases but, I feel, all Blades fans are asking for is a fair crack of the whip for a man who has worked miracles, and creaated a few, so far.

IM not saying it’s my opinion I’m looking at it from how the board might view it.
    The teams ina great position let’s give Wilder £20 million and go for it or how about we’re in and around the playoffs so let’s give WIlder the opportunity to strengthen with three or four and secure the play offs.
    I don’t think Wilders playing coy with a huge budget I think it’s a case of a modest budget and he wants to stretch it without people trying to hold the club to ransom.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyEdge View Post
    IM not saying it’s my opinion I’m looking at it from how the board might view it.
    The teams ina great position let’s give Wilder £20 million and go for it or how about we’re in and around the playoffs so let’s give WIlder the opportunity to strengthen with three or four and secure the play offs.
    I don’t think Wilders playing coy with a huge budget I think it’s a case of a modest budget and he wants to stretch it without people trying to hold the club to ransom.
    I agree he's ( rightly) playing his cards close to his chest and I would be astounded if he has anything near a huge budget.

Very few, if any, expect that but as I said,let's hope he gets a fair crack of the whip because the opportunities come so rarely and, as all financial advice, and pig fans should be saying, past performance is no guarantee of future success.

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    thing is rod is mr mcabe asking too big a price for his share in the club and if he is hes doing the club and supporters no favours know hes a businessman but when a club like barnsley can attract new investment why cant we theres so much potential at the lane just now with the best management team weve had for years
    Like you and the rest of BLADESmadders mate,i've no idea how much King Kev is askin for his share but i do agree with you abart the potential at BDBL and the management team.UTCB

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910