+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Great Cockup

Great Cockup

Yesterday me and Mrs 59-60 continued our quest to conquer all 214 Wainwright Lakeland peaks by attempting Great Sca Fell, Meal Fell and...Great Cockup.

The weather was bright but bitterly cold with a strong wind blowing. At higher levels the ground was frozen and we had occasional snow flurries.

I can now happily put your minds at rest and report a successful conclusion to our expedition and that our running total of Wainwright hills is now 46.

We thawed out in a very pleasant hostelry where I consumed 2 pints of Windermere Blonde and a curry.

We got to wondering how the Lakeland peaks got their names. Great Cockup and Little Cockup must have an interesting story to tell.

I always wondered if a Cumbrian lass lost her virginity on Maiden Moor to the bloke who had a Great Wood?

Aye, he must have had a High Raise with his Great Rigg BT.

You are ideally situated for doing them all 59/60,do shouldn't take you too long to do them all.. What's your favourite one so far ?

Afternoon Alf!

Yes, we are less than an hour away from some of them.

Over the years I have done loads of them but when I retired in May we "zeroed" our count and decided to do them all again.

My favorite one has to be Scafell Pike - not just because it is the highest but it is full of interest.

Haystacks is my favorite shorter one.

But, because we are doing all 214, we have discovered some fantastic walks which are little known. Yesterday was a great walk, and in an area we knew nothing about.

tomorrow we are going for Little Mell Fell and Great Mell Fell near Ullswater.

We have discovered some great pubs as well

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I always wondered if a Cumbrian lass lost her virginity on Maiden Moor to the bloke who had a Great Wood?
    if it's the same one - BT....I think Kirk Fell on his way - so she went off in the Dollywagon - ended up on the High Street working in Fairfields - they say she gave Clough Head during the Meilbreak - but who knows ?

been a good few years since I've walked amongst the lakeland peaks - 59/60...but hold some great memories for me - Good Luck on your journey - hard to find a better one.

Cheers.

Never too late Norder!

Have you stopped for good?

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Never too late Norder!
    Have you stopped for good?
    the great outdoors never stops calling me 59/60.....and I always have good supply of all season walking gear at hand - but dont use it as much as i'd like, for the proper stuff, like yourselves that is...there's no excuses - it's down to me to dig out those maps....get back to nature/reality, before it is too late.

Cheers mate.

Don't hesitate - go for it!

When I used to take my courses around the Black Mountains and Brecons we always chuckled at 'Fan Y Big' and 'Lord Herefords Knob'....

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)