+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Please go now, Artell

Quote Originally Posted by Proggs View Post
    It is a very **** league and mostly a poor standard week-in week-out.

How the **** can AS be top on their budget and crowds when every other mard arse team in the ****ty league moans about lack of funds! Up the Stanley I say, good lads!
    I have a huge amount of time for them as I was at one of their last home matches against us in the early sixties and they went into non league what? the next 50 years? And so nobody but nobody can begrudge them their place in L1 next season...Shows what a team that gels together can do and the fact that we outplayed them recently bodes well for us next season if we can get the right blend of players in to what we have but think we may lose Ainley and Jones in July.

I still have reservations over DA, he will have a hard task if some of the younger players don't sign contracts and especially if the playing budget is small.

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkDust View Post
    I still have reservations over DA, he will have a hard task if some of the younger players don't sign contracts and especially if the playing budget is small.
    I reckon that the recent improvement in team performances and results, has been largely down to the fact that Artell has had not only had players returning from injury, but also the good fortune that the new recruits he signed in January have paid off. It is always a gamble, as they keep telling us, when loan players arrive. I reckon that if those younger players don't sign (Ainley, Kirk etc.) and the budget is small, then you are absolutely correct Ian, in suggesting that Artell will have a hard task next season. However, if that is the scenario in the summer, I personally don't see that as Artell's fault. Any manager would struggle in the same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkDust View Post
    Any manager you care to mention would struggle with our budget, but we do have an abundance of talent at the club if we can keep the team together then the future looks bright, but if we have to rebuild and start the season with untested young players from the academy then we will struggle again. We have now got some young players who have developed tremendously over the last season, it would be a shame to lose them just when they are starting to show there potential. It is almost certain that Jones will move on and possibly Ainley. What a team we would have if we retained them but that looks unlikely, but whatever happens is probably out of DA's control, he has a juggling act with his budget and I'm sure we will have a decent squad come next season, but it is important to retain some of those younger players who are out of contract.

I'm not sure our budgets are as poor as some would have us believe. Obviously the funds available won't be enormous, but the likes of Daggers, Porter and Raynes wouldn't have come cheap and I don't suppose Green is lowly paid either. We're not up there with the Notts County/Luton/Coventrys of this world, but I suspect we are well above the Accys, Morecambes,Exeters etc

I can't remember a stronger squad in our recent history - when did we last have the likes of Daggers, Porter, Raynes, Ainley and McKirdy on the bench?

I hadn't realised that Harry P was also out of contract! He is, for me, this season's most improved player. I also think it was a masterstroke to convert him to midfield. I don't know whose decision that was but if it was DA/KL then that's a good sign. However, I'm hoping he's not joining the list of those too big for their boots. Of those who haven't yet signed there's only one who's remotely ready for better things. Another two have been very good in flashes, one with end results but the other without. It's likely that the latter has already decided. Gone are the days of Seth Johnston, who was clever enough to know he could wait a little while but still get a good move. I blame the dads!!

Quote Originally Posted by Proggs View Post
    It is a very **** league and mostly a poor standard week-in week-out.

You see, this is what I don't get!
    If it is "a very **** league", very **** compared to what?
    And if it is "a very **** league", what does that say about us, lying in a lowly 17th??
    And if it is "a very **** league", why do you waste your time and money watching it??
    Damn sure I wouldn't if I felt that way, as I'm sure 100s of others wouldn't!!
    Last edited by somersetcrewe; 10-04-2018 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe View Post
    You see, this is what I don't get!
    If it is "a very **** league", very **** compared to what?
    And if it is "a very **** league", what does that say about us, lying in a lowly 17th??
    And if it is "a very **** league", why do you waste your time and money watching it??
    I remember when we were in League 1 that people were saying this. I don't get it either. It is what it is. League 2. Not as good as League 1, a lot worse than the Championship. And as for the Premiership, well the acting is top notch!

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe View Post
    why do you waste your time and money watching it??
    You don't a lot though, do you

I get the impression that some complain that league 2 is a poor league because Accr Stanley are running away with it and are odds on to win the title, but that is far from the reality. I used to watch football in the old 4th Division and the football we see today is far superior to what we used to get. back then it was a poor league, now apart from the likes of Newport, who think there playing rugby, there are some decent footballing sides out there. I'm not sure why Accrington have done so well but fair play to them and shows it is not all about budget, but its a long way from being a poor league and we have seen a lot of quality this season, not always from the Alex unfortunately. Its easy being critical, but I actually enjoyed much of the football we have seen this season, some of it I prefer to forget, but I will be back with my season ticket again next season and I don't expect an easy ride in a league that is a lot tougher than some are willing to credit.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast