+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Youths up to u23's is it worth the time and investment

Youths up to u23's is it worth the time and investment

Now hears a thing to think about. Firstly when was the last time we brought one of our reserves or young players through to play in the first team on a regular basis. I think it is quite a long time ago. My thoughts are what is the purpose of our youth or under 23 teams. None have ever come through to be good enough to play at our level and it seems to me wasted money at the present day. Any player who has not made the first team by the time they are 20 then it is unlikely they will make the grade. Why is that the case well one would have to point the finger at our scouting system as they have not been able to spot talent for our club to justify the various youth levels. We all know our historic youth players making the grade but I cannot recall a player coming through our young players going on to make the first team at BFC or at any other level for that matter. So the question is what is the point to the scouting and investment is it time to scrub this cost

They u23s aren’t doing well just now though they are allowed to play older players, which comes in handy for getting game time for injured players.
    Heard of Jay Rodriguez?
    Last edited by oldcolner; 11-02-2018 at 09:47 PM.

oldcolner I give you that one fair enough but do you really think the odd player in how many years is enough too justify the time and investment. My main point was about the quality of our scouting system.

Oh and don't infer I haven't watched for very long by the sarcky "Heard of JR" - my first game was 1964 and had a season ticket every year since.

Quote Originally Posted by lancaster100 View Post
    Oh and don't infer I haven't watched for very long by the sarcky "Heard of JR" - my first game was 1964 and had a season ticket every year since.
    Now theirs a thing to think about.......

Now hears a thing to think about. Firstly when was the last time we brought one of our reserves or young players through to play in the first team on a regular basis. I think it is quite a long time ago. My thoughts are what is the purpose of our youth or under 23 teams. None have ever come through to be good enough to play at our level and it seems to me wasted money at the present day. Any player who has not made the first team by the time they are 20 then it is unlikely they will make the grade. Why is that the case well one would have to point the finger at our scouting system as they have not been able to spot talent for our club to justify the various youth levels. We all know our historic youth players making the grade but I cannot recall a player coming through our young players going on to make the first team at BFC or at any other level for that matter. So the question is what is the point to the scouting and investment is it time to scrub this cost
    You have a very good point Lancaster.

I think of our youth set up like the general transfer window, we just cannot compete.

With Manchester City having 600 players on their books (Mike Garlick's words) what chance do we have ? The cast offs, the one's that have potential yet others cannot see ?

I heard we had the chance of getting a 16 year old youth player who really had potential 8 years ago, we was about to sign him when a top 6 Club came in with cash for his parents and a house, obviously he walked away from us as obviously we cannot compete with that, he's now plying his trade at the same Club, Man Utd.

Another one around the same time was promising who's name I cannot remember, Man Utd scooped him away for £1 Million, with it was stated at the time a friendly at the Turf with Man Utd, the friendly never materialised, and the player disappeared without a trace.

There are rules for ****agers in what you can offer or what you can entice them with for their services, but our FA (as useless as they are) turn a blind eye when it suits them.

Lancaster That’s dedication - and thick and thin.
    I wasn’t making any such inference but just responded to your statement. ‘I cannot recall a player coming through our young players going on to make the first team at BFC ‘
    I don’t have smileys on my phone sorry.

Alto
    We have just invested £20m or so in Barnfield to attract and develop youngsters and got Duff to lead them . We probably need to give them a few years to show some benefit.
    https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/news/2017/june/academy-granted-category-2-status/
    The under 16s and 18s seem to be doing quite well but the under 23s seem to be struggling.
    Re players isn’t Tom Anderson another who came through the ranks and is now on loan at Doncaster?
    Last edited by oldcolner; 12-02-2018 at 12:00 AM.

I know all about Gawthorpe and how much money we have spent, Gawthorpe has needed upgrading for a long time, same as the changing rooms at the Turf which I had the great pleasure of changing in in 1971 and couldn't believe how small and cramp it was, and yes why not go the whole hog and make it superb (as it is), but as I said we cannot compete with the mega Clubs, if they want one of ours for their Club, come hook or crook they will take them, so again we will be behind the 8 ball.

Tom Anderson is just that, a league one player at best, O'Neil another prospect is IMO only Championship material, Agye, Jackson, Massanka and the others have still a lot to prove, and if Nahki Wells is not being given the chance to show what he can do when our current forwards are not delivering what chance have Agye or Massanka ?

We've gone round the traps with this issue a few times in the past.

If you don't have youth/development teams you can never attract young talent.

So you give up at that point; save some money, and just scout for talent and have to pay for it.

Our current youth/development policy pressures the improvement of our training facilities and it gives the club a buzz.

It ensures additional employment, extra trainers and coaches and thus brings in new thoughts and tactics.

If Burnley can maintain its Prem status it will attract better young talent over time.

True, the cream will always go to the top clubs but surely we must be realistic and seek to uncover good solid performers rather than a Messi.

All the time we have a few bob to spare it's good business to keep on with a youth/development policy.

Our current crop seem to find jobs in the lower divisions. What is not known is if these transfers attract any fees to offset our costs in this venture.

If so, it would underscore its value to the club.

Just one good find and all the money is suddenly well spent.

If we don't have this facility what do we do? tell young talent that come to our door to try Man Utd?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)