+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 619 of 625 FirstFirst ... 119519569609617618619620621 ... LastLast
Results 6,181 to 6,190 of 6249

Thread: Derek McInnes

Agree with most of that Moog ^

And when you break it down McInnes offered most of that for his first few seasons (which was a more impressive given where we had been).

We beat Celtic in the league and cup in 13/14, didn't in 14/15, twice in 15/16... Since then I think we've had 1 x win (and a last game of the season at that).

We beat Rangers in the league twice in 16/17, didn't in 17/18, once in 18/19 (plus wins in both cups). None since then.

We won the League Cup 7 years ago - but nothing since. We reached the 2017 League and Scottish Cup finals (so 3 finals in 4 years at that point). Then only the 2019 League Cup final in the (almost) 4 years since.

We reached at least 1 x cup semi every season apart from 2015/16.

In 15/16 I think we could definitely be said to be close enough to be genuine challengers (that weekend when Rogic scored a 90th minute winner vs. Kilmarnock then we (inevitably) threw away a 1-0 lead to lose at Motherwell still rankles)

In Europe we fell short - the good wins were too often followed up with a poor result - Karait, Maribor and Apollon are all ties you need to win if we expect to reach the Group stages. We almost always got knocked out in the round we were 'meant to' according to seeding.

A bit of a long-winded way of saying that I think McInnes easily met the realistic expectations of most Dons fans in his first 4-6 seasons (depending on how generous you are being) but it is undeniable that those 'standards' have slipped in the past few years.

The style of football is arguably a separate debate - there is no real right answer on this in my view but I would say we played a decent standard of football up until the end of the 2016/17 season.

The hope would be that from a much higher base a new manager can come in and achieve what McInnes achieved in his first few seasons as a minimum. I wish McIness all the best, would thank him wholeheartedly for everything he's done for the club and think it is unfortunate that he's been spirited away in the midst of closed doors games (and nil nil draws...) but the time for a change had probably been reached - whether that pays off or not is another story and depends on Cormack getting the appointment right.

Excellent post. I don't remember the loss to Motherwell strangely...but I certainly do mind the Hearts away game when Church scored early....thats the game that rankles with me the most. As for Europe, surely to christ Aberdeen should never go out to a team from Cyprus. Yet we did...and noone seemed all that surprised. I also thank McInness wholeheartedly for all he did, for me he's one of the good guys...and it is a bit sad the way he left. But the time was right.

I'm fairly confident he will pitch up at Tannadice once the jooot hierarchy get wise to this clown they have in place just now.

That would be a good fit.
    After all, he’s Dundee United’s biggest fan.

Will be emailing his CV to Hearts right now I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ItzMillerTime_Dons View Post
    Agree with most of that Moog ^

And when you break it down McInnes offered most of that for his first few seasons (which was a more impressive given where we had been).

We beat Celtic in the league and cup in 13/14, didn't in 14/15, twice in 15/16... Since then I think we've had 1 x win (and a last game of the season at that).

We beat Rangers in the league twice in 16/17, didn't in 17/18, once in 18/19 (plus wins in both cups). None since then.

We won the League Cup 7 years ago - but nothing since. We reached the 2017 League and Scottish Cup finals (so 3 finals in 4 years at that point). Then only the 2019 League Cup final in the (almost) 4 years since.

We reached at least 1 x cup semi every season apart from 2015/16.

In 15/16 I think we could definitely be said to be close enough to be genuine challengers (that weekend when Rogic scored a 90th minute winner vs. Kilmarnock then we (inevitably) threw away a 1-0 lead to lose at Motherwell still rankles)

In Europe we fell short - the good wins were too often followed up with a poor result - Karait, Maribor and Apollon are all ties you need to win if we expect to reach the Group stages. We almost always got knocked out in the round we were 'meant to' according to seeding.

A bit of a long-winded way of saying that I think McInnes easily met the realistic expectations of most Dons fans in his first 4-6 seasons (depending on how generous you are being) but it is undeniable that those 'standards' have slipped in the past few years.

The style of football is arguably a separate debate - there is no real right answer on this in my view but I would say we played a decent standard of football up until the end of the 2016/17 season.

The hope would be that from a much higher base a new manager can come in and achieve what McInnes achieved in his first few seasons as a minimum. I wish McIness all the best, would thank him wholeheartedly for everything he's done for the club and think it is unfortunate that he's been spirited away in the midst of closed doors games (and nil nil draws...) but the time for a change had probably been reached - whether that pays off or not is another story and depends on Cormack getting the appointment right.
    All fair Moog.

What still mystifies after the fact, is that the deficiencies we witnessed as the tide turned were not a flash in the pan run of bad form. It was a grim war of attrition We saw a deliberate and constant effort to clone midfielders that couldn’t operate in the final third. We saw three seasons where there was a constant chorus of supporters calling out what was plain to see in front of us. And yet.....it was simply never addressed. An awful lot of what the McInnes legacy became in the final two seasons at least, was a clearly avoidable scenario. The goal drought seems perfectly logical when you’re football involves a target man that never see’s a cross or a through ball.

Unsurprisingly he still hasn't got another job

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    Unsurprisingly he still hasn't got another job
    Doesn't need one .
    We will probably be paying of his wages for the next 10 years.

He’ll still want another job. You think Jack pays for his own trainers?

Page 619 of 625 FirstFirst ... 119519569609617618619620621 ... LastLast