+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: ot jeremy corbyn

Why are you talking to yourself kempo you need to see a doctor. Whoops you are one eh? You've been sussed get used to it.

Lol. Is there anyone that you don't think is kempo?

No the tell tale signs come from those who post unsubstantiated right wing crap and have obviously never been to amillers game in their lives. Don't think gf is a clone because he can obviously name 3 miller's players. Right wing nasty yes but kempo clone no.

Fortunately their are only a few whofit that bill on here. you should know who they are eh?

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Damn, you've had me clicking on the link too.

Sickening spin? As far as I can see, Diane Abbott announced a Labour policy - a statement of what Labour would do if the electorate chose to put them in power - and the Daily Mail reported it.

I've not checked the figures that you give, but have no reason to doubt them (though, ironically, perhaps, in a post alleging spin, you've chosen not to mention the Tory response that the policy would encourage an increase in numbers) and agree that it is hardly a significant change, but Abbott clearly though it significant enough to announce it, so why wouldn't the press report it?

What are you saying? That the electorate shouldn't be made aware of Labour policy announcements or that reporting Labour policy announcements is an act of manipulation?

Is reporting Labour policy announcements the sort of bias that you are concerned about? Blimey.
    Blimey Kerr, surprised I have to give elementary media studies lessons. Are you saying that what you are reading is an altogether unbalanced, even handed review of Abbott's announcement that informs the readers without any attempt to play on and exacerbate their existing fears?

I'm sure that at the very least you are aware that the most powerful elements in a persuasive news item, one with an agenda, is to summarise the key point(s) in the headline and strap lines, to try and make it so that the readers, many of whom will not read further into the article, will absorb the point or the argument that you as a writer wishes to make, with no real effort on their part. It's pretty basic stuff - all news people know this.

So what was the headline:

Shadow Home Secretary Diane Abbott says Labour will let MORE immigrants into Britain if they get into Number 10

Look at the capital letters on MORE. Why do you think they have done that Kerr? What do you think the average Mail reader will make of that? Is that a fair reflection of the content of Abbott's announcement?

And then the three strap lines underneath the heading:

- Diane Abbott said Labour would let child refugees bring parents to the UK
    - She said they would also end policy of deporting children when they turn 18
    - The Conservatives have pledged to get immigration down to tens of thousands

Points 1 and 2 are factually accurate but what of point 3? True that the Tories have pledged to get immigration down to tens of thousands and true that right at the bottom of the article it states that they have yet to do so. But they well know that most readers will have made their minds up about the article, have all of the info they need from the title and the three straps: Labour are going to let MORE immigrants into the country and the implication is that the Tories are the party that's going to do something about that. So the clear inference is: the Labour party are going to let even MORE immigrants into the country, and we know you hate that kind of thing, so VOTE TORY!

Our media studies students can read political bias in news article structure Kerr. Surprised you apparently can't!

Bit rushed - up to me ears!
    Last edited by ragingpup; 22-02-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    I would guess if you went round to gfires house it would be full of nazi memorobilia: flags, pennants, videos, books the lot. Bit llke the father ted nazi episode. He certainly knows enough about nazi politics to suggest he is one. Mind you you would have to get through the machine gun posts, barbed wire and alsatian dogs first. Not keen on strangers is our greatfire unless they have a swastika badge.
    LOL at an extremist trying to paint everyone else as extreme.

In the Ed Miliband days Labour admitted that they had been wrong to call anyone concerned with high levels of immigration a racist, under Corbyn it looks like we have gone back to the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Blimey Kerr, surprised I have to give elementary media studies lessons. Are you saying that what you are reading is an altogether unbalanced, even handed review of Abbott's announcement that informs the readers without any attempt to play on and exacerbate their existing fears?

I'm sure that at the very least you are aware that the most powerful elements in a persuasive news item, one with an agenda, is to summarise the key point(s) in the headline and strap lines, to try and make it so that the readers, many of whom will not read further into the article, will absorb the point or the argument that you as a writer wishes to make, with no real effort on their part. It's pretty basic stuff - all news people know this.

Shadow Home Secretary Diane Abbott says Labour will let MORE immigrants into Britain if they get into Number 10

Look at the capital letters on MORE. Why do you think they have done that Kerr? What do you think the average Mail reader will make of that? Is that a fair reflection of the content of Abbott's announcement?

Points 1 and 2 are factually accurate but what of point 3? True that the Tories have pledged to get immigration down to tens of thousands and true that right at the bottom of the article it states that they have yet to do so. But they well know that most readers will have made their minds up about the article, have all of the info they need from the title and the three straps: Labour are going to let MORE immigrants into the country and the implication is that the Tories are the party that's going to do something about that. So the clear inference is: the Labour party are going to let even MORE immigrants into the country, and we know you hate that kind of thing, so VOTE TORY!

Our media studies students can read political bias in news article structure Kerr. Surprised you apparently can't!

No-one is saying the Mail isn't biased but the headline is accurate, Labour is going to increase immigration, Abbott admits it and indeed believes it's desirable.

One of the first things Labour did after being elected in 1997 was to scrap the "Primary Purpose" rule which kept a lid on chain migration. They did this to increase their voter base and "rub the right's noses in diversity" (according to a former Blair adviser).

Immigration doubled almost straight away and kept on rising.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post

Anyone who suggests that the Mail isn't biased and that the articles that it publishes don't reflect that would be slightly bonkers - possibly more so than young Gisjbert appears to be - but your suggestion of 'sickening spin' is, being as kind as I can be, a gross exaggeration.

The capitalisation of MORE, emphasises the editorial stance of that paper and of the Mail reading audience it seeks to persuade to buy copy.

As you concede, the article is factually correct, including the failure of the Tories to meet their hopeless tens of thousands target, which has been well publicised in the supposedly hopelessly biased media.

Does it come to this then, that you are upset that the Mail ran a factually correct article about a Labour policy announcement, but capitalised a word in the headline? And the capitalisation of the word MORE amounts to sickening spin?

I await your ideas for 'managing' the free press and links to pre-election images of The Great Leader' as a devil hand in hand with terrorists with renewed interest.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    LOL at an extremist trying to paint everyone else as extreme.

In the Ed Miliband days Labour admitted that they had been wrong to call anyone concerned with high levels of immigration a racist, under Corbyn it looks like we have gone back to the good old days.
    Bad old days that should say.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Educated or not, I’m really struggling to follow the point that you are trying to make, Amanda. It may be me, but let’s wind it back to see if we can get on track:

In post 17, I observed that: He also seems to be fond of talking to Hamas and Hezbollah, but seems to have very little contact with the Israeli government.

In post 48, you responded by saying: I wouldn't want anything to do with Israeli Government either, you only have to look at the death toll they're by far the bigger terrorists, it's being friends with them that makes you a terrorist sympathiser.

In post 50, I repled: So are you saying that The Great Leader was right to have nothing to do with the Israelis because they drop bombs and shell people, but it was ok for him to talk to Hamas and Hezbollah and refer to them as friends even though they set off bombs on buses etc. and fire rockets onto random targets in Israeli towns?

Your response in post 51 was: Clearly not.

I’m simply asking what you meant by ‘clearly not’.

Distilled down, the issue is this: The Great Leader invited representatives of Hamas and Hezbollah to Westminster and referred to them as friends when he did. Hamas and Hezbollah are organisations that are committed to the destruction of Israel (irrespective of the views of its 8.5 million inhabitants) and which have engaged in bombings, assassinations and the indiscriminate firing of rockets into Israeli towns. So how is it that you feel that The Great Leader was justified in not wanting much to do with Israel, but raise no criticism of his dealings with his friends in Hamas and Hezbollah? Maybe you do, but I’ve missed them.

The spin being put out on behalf of the Great Leader now is that he was talking to Sinn Fein (but not pIRA – lol) to pursue peace and was talking to Hamas and Hezbollah for the same reason. I think that is as demonstrably nonsensical as the notion that he had secrets to give to the Czechs in the 80s. How can you be a peace broker when you demonstrate support for the aims of one side of a conflict (in the case of the Great Leader, for the reunification of Ireland and for the Palestinian cause) and by only talking to one side? It makes no sense.

I have no issue with The Great Leader holding the views that he does on the reunification of Ireland and for the Palestinian cause. It may be that his views and mine are not a million miles apart upon them; it is the re-writing of history to try to paint over the inconvenience of his past words and actions of the slating of the media for reporting them that troubles me.
    I said clearly not because I was clearly not saying what you wrote in post 50. Funny how you use the word 'spin' because you seem pretty good at it. I was saying what the post said, Mostly pointing out the hypocrisy in the terrorist sympathiser slur.
    I didn't say anything much about Corbyn.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast