+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 'Turning Up'

'Turning Up'

I keep seeing reference to what team will 'turn up' for any given game. I'm presuming that refers to inconsistencies effort/commitment, not skill. But where do we draw the line? Chris Baird certainly 'turned up' in the second half on saturday, and got red carded for it. We have a deep enough squad, SHOULD our players be getting stuck in more at the risk of bookings/sendings off? Should Olsson have put the Leeds player in the stand instead of *****footing round during the buildup to their 2nd goal last week?

IMO a bit more grit wouldn't go amiss. Or is that not what we mean by 'turning up'?

I think it's a mixture of (in)consistency, effort, commitment. All wrapped up in a word I made up, givafuquedness.

Why do we seem to start just about every game in neutral? GR has commented on it several times this season even going as far as saying it's not the instructions they were given. Well, if players aren't doing as they have been told, drop a few of them. Let's come out on the front foot a bit more. Not the gung ho of SM 1.0's team but with a bit of fire in the belly.

Olsson. I think he did attempt to take the Leeds player out. Problem was he went in, and to ground, way too early and was left on his 'arris. Poor defending, awful timing and indicative of him being better going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I think it's a mixture of (in)consistency, effort, commitment. All wrapped up in a word I made up, givafuquedness.

Why do we seem to start just about every game in neutral? GR has commented on it several times this season even going as far as saying it's not the instructions they were given. Well, if players aren't doing as they have been told, drop a few of them. Let's come out on the front foot a bit more. Not the gung ho of SM 1.0's team but with a bit of fire in the belly.

Olsson. I think he did attempt to take the Leeds player out. Problem was he went in, and to ground, way too early and was left on his 'arris. Poor defending, awful timing and indicative of him being better going forward.
    It’s a difficult one and without getting into conspiracy theories you have to wonder to what extent the players share the aspirations of the fans. For me only Carson is definitely good enough for the Premiership. Keogh might be and Wisdom, Vydra and Lawrence I’d put amongst those who have something to prove as far as performing in the Prem is concerned.
    The rest are either in the categories of never going to be or ‘had their day’, imo. I suspect we’re little different from many of the other ‘top end’ clubs. We’ve got a very decent Championship squad which is good enough, on its day, to get us up...how much they all want to, and in so doing bring about a change in their own ‘fortunes’, might be the question.

If that really was an attempt by Olsson to take the Leeds player out, MA, he needs to quit now. I played full back quite a lot and quite badly but I’d have stopped him, albeit at the cost of a card.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 27-02-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

If that really was an attempt by Olsson to take the Leeds player out, MA, he needs to quit now. I played full back quite a lot and quite badly but I’d have stopped him, albeit at the cost of a card.
    I played most positions over the years, half of them as keeper. I also had a fair few games at full back. I would not have gone to ground as Olsson did. Once you do, if you miss man and ball you are done for. He is off and away.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I keep seeing reference to what team will 'turn up' for any given game. I'm presuming that refers to inconsistencies effort/commitment, not skill. But where do we draw the line? Chris Baird certainly 'turned up' in the second half on saturday, and got red carded for it. We have a deep enough squad, SHOULD our players be getting stuck in more at the risk of bookings/sendings off? Should Olsson have put the Leeds player in the stand instead of *****footing round during the buildup to their 2nd goal last week?

IMO a bit more grit wouldn't go amiss. Or is that not what we mean by 'turning up'?
    Baird lost his concentration, someone had a shot which struck a defender (never a handball), and rather than watching his man he jumped up and down waving his arms. Of course, the ball was played to his man, and he lunged to make up for losing him. You expect your experienced players to turn up and use their experience, rather than act like a 17 year old.

I turned up at Reading on Saturday with a very good following of Derby fans. Reading didn't turn up until we showed them how poor we can be and then they woke up!
    Lets face Leeds and Reading should of been beaten out of site initially they were awful.
    3rd/4th in the league a massive promotion bonus awaiting, a promotion on your CV, probably a pay rise and we cant be ar*** to start the game on the front feet and really go at them!
    Unbelievable and it happens every year, its c**p about nerves, its c**p blaming lack of atmosphere and the fans, its actually wanting and desire from the players that's lacking!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)