+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T snowing

All weather tyres are an option if you don't go through as many tyres as Amanda.
    Quieter and better fuel economy than winter ones

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss View Post
    I go through that many sets of tyres so I put winter tyres on this time of year, I've not got a spare set of wheels. They're not just for snow you get better breaking when the temperatures are below 8 degrees and I've not noticed any worse breaking when the temperatures are above that. If I had a car for pleasure purposes etc... I'd have them on all the time because they're the same rubber compound as all weather tyres and they're not any more expensive.

But none of this stops idiots stoping in the middle of hills for no reason.
    I used to keep snow tyres on my work van all year. Not much in between the tyre ware.

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Meaning half of Britain shuts down

Get more gritters on roads you tight arses

Good to see people still go out and clear front of their property...

Not.

Well I might go and build a white rabbit in between paperwork
    Agreed, a bit of white stuff and everything stops.

"The beast from the east" lol

"Hysteria from Siberia" is more like it.

I think the problem is we're just not used to it because it doesn't happen that often therefore people also don't get used to driving in it. Also some cars are terrible in driving in snow- I drive a van and its like a dream- anything smaller than an Astra struggles, and lets not get started on the Audis, BMWs, Mercs etc they're just asking for trouble.

I don't mind it too much though I love taking the kids out in it

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    Cleared snow from 6 old people's bungalows yesterday morning, then council turned up, short of council workers one lady from the office staff come & got a shovel. Gid em a cup of tea / coffee didn't want out stronger in it.

Alway's know when weather is changing arthritis in ankle gives me jip after breaking it previously, plus my knee replacement gives me jip, in next week for the first of 2 new hips.
    Eric, are you trying to tell me after a knee replacement you still get pain. Surely it can't be as much pain as before the op.
    You've just put me right off my knee replacement op sometime next year.

Happens Casper. I had knee replacement 2015. It hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Donmiller View Post
    I think the problem is we're just not used to it because it doesn't happen that often therefore people also don't get used to driving in it. Also some cars are terrible in driving in snow- I drive a van and its like a dream- anything smaller than an Astra struggles, and lets not get started on the Audis, BMWs, Mercs etc they're just asking for trouble.

That's actually not true.

Small cars with narrow tyres are actually better in the snow than bigger cars (except 4 wheel drives).

My wife's old Ford Ka could get everywhere in the snow.

The reason for this is that traction is achieved in winter by cutting through the ice and snow. With wider tread, you're more likely to start snow plowing or floating on top of the surface instead of pushing down and through. This floating will result in loss of traction sooner than with a thinner or narrower option.
    https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/hunte...ter-for-winter
    Last edited by great_fire; 01-03-2018 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donmiller View Post

What's wrong with Audi?

Mines a dream in this weather

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    What's wrong with Audi?

Mines a dream in this weather
    is it a 4-wheel drive one?

Think the difference is that Audi's are generally front wheel drive so better in snow.
    BMW's are rear wheel so hopeless.
    You'd have thought that from Bavaria they would build a car that's decent in snowy conditions

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast