+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good name, good name!

Good name, good name!

So just over 6 years have passed since the name of The New York Stadium was unveiled. At the time the general opinion seemed to be against it and there were fears of ridicule from other fans. It doesn't seem we have benefited commercially from the name as TS originally indicated we might but what are your thoughts today? Love it or still refuse to utter the words?

To be honest i was never a lover of the name. I am sick of trying to explain to people when they ask "why the NEW YORK STADIUM" bad choice not benefited as you stated and he still ended up selling the rights when he said he wouldn't .

Meh

I still think it's a great name.

Did any of the names that the erectors gave to the corners stick?

They called the first corner to be built between the West and South stands "Devil's Corner" 'cos the roof was a bit of a devil to line up. I think the next one was between West and North and they named it "Mafia Corner" but I can't remember why.
    I can't remember the names they gave to the others.

Love the name personally and a lot of visiting fans are fascinated by it judging by the number of photographs they take when walking up to our magnificent stadium.
    I'm surprised that the commercial team hasn't been able to exploit the name for financial benefit but at least New York New York has become our song and it's great to hear it belted out when we've won.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Love the name personally and a lot of visiting fans are fascinated by it judging by the number of photographs they take when walking up to our magnificent stadium.
    I'm surprised that the commercial team hasn't been able to exploit the name for financial benefit but at least New York New York has become our song and it's great to hear it belted out when we've won.
    The name fits the area for historical reasons and most of the fans that I know seem to like it. Away fans don't seem to find it confusing either. Not sure exactly what the commercial team expected to exploit - sponsorship from the USA?
    Leave the name as it is now.

I didn’t know the ins and outs of the name when it was first stated, after they explained their choice I still didn’t like it.

Now it just slides of my tongue when I mention New York (yes I like it now)

TBH I don’t really notice the Aesseal bit
    Attachment 8708
    Last edited by millertop; 28-02-2018 at 08:49 AM.

Yeah think its fine it just rolls off the tongue now without thinking about it and agree away fans seem to have accepted it as well as being the home of RUFC.The name has always had some legitimacy because of where it is sited.Its a smashing little ground still and probably the best for its size in the country but then again I'm biased. I often look back when I''m walking away from the ground. particularly at night matches watching the fans stream out against a lit up NYS stdium still thinking how proud I am of it. When we are playing well on the pitch as well it is icing on the cake.I'm dead chuffed that I have been able to witness this in my life time and wish me old dad could have got to see it.The next aim is for me to see us in the prem before I pop me clogs. Mebbe a bigger ask eh?
    Last edited by rolymiller; 28-02-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Against it at first but it's grown on me. Being coupled with the Frank Sinatra song helps it a lot. Given us a name and an anthem.

I was unsure at first but I like it. Like others have said about the Anthem is fitting and is great for us. Many a good night were finishied with me kicking it up Can Can style at parties. Singing it on a Saturday evening after a win is the icing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast