+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T Charities

Quote Originally Posted by sickly_child View Post
    Will be very careful what I say. In the late 90s and early 2000 I worked in West Africa as an aid worker. Did this happen with my organisation? definitely not. Did most organizations have an issue? No. Did it happen? Without a doubt. Proving it was hard but I have no doubts some people (mainly white middle aged men) took advantage of economically vulnerable people.
    And these people spoil it for the rest. How can these people be squeezed out of the system?

How can they gain back the confidence of people like me?

To be fair Frog the vast majority of Aid workers I knew were amazing people. For instance i worked for a relatively small agency and we fed 5,000 plus children a week. Children who would have likely starved if we had not provided such a valuable service. Bad people are found in all walks of life and professions. They are often intelligent and cunning and deserve to rot in hell.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    I was shocked when I heard that none of last years (2016) money had been spent. There are reports in most of the daily papers saying that they have a portfolio of over £90m
    Plus they have their own registered charity that the money is paid into. It doesn't go direct to needy causes. The Chief executive of this set up is paid more than the prime minister.

Also you need to remember that many if the luvvies you see on Children in Need night are being paid for being there and when they do the location films they get free flights and decent accomodation. It's not exactly mucking in like many charity workers put up with. The thought of Bono or Geldof and their like sharing a tent though amusing doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Plus they have their own registered charity that the money is paid into. It doesn't go direct to needy causes. The Chief executive of this set up is paid more than the prime minister.

Also you need to remember that many if the luvvies you see on Children in Need night are being paid for being there and when they do the location films they get free flights and decent accomodation. It's not exactly mucking in like many charity workers put up with. The thought of Bono or Geldof and their like sharing a tent though amusing doesn't happen.
    I know a guy who is a director for british legion. He bought a flat in london so he could stay there when he works there. Yep they're on a good wage.

Quote Originally Posted by sickly_child View Post
    To be fair Frog the vast majority of Aid workers I knew were amazing people. For instance i worked for a relatively small agency and we fed 5,000 plus children a week. Children who would have likely starved if we had not provided such a valuable service. Bad people are found in all walks of life and professions. They are often intelligent and cunning and deserve to rot in hell.
    The fact that some of these people have been sacked from one organisation and then employed in another is sickening and frightening.

This is the exact reason I stopped donating to CIN years ago. It's a shame because there are so many people out there that need charities/events like Children in Need but don't benefit from the hundreds of millions that have been raised.

I think its a difficult situation were going to see ourselves in with regards to who we donate money to, do you just donate locally where you know they spend their money on the people that genuinely need it, or do you fund bigger charities that help the wider picture but pay their CEO's hundreds of thousands of pounds a year.

I think there should be a cap on the amount of money a CEO of a charity gets to take home. They are meant to be not-for-profit organisations and I think its disgusting that they are even allowed to take home that amount of money. If your the CEO of a charity for your own personal income reasons then you are in the wrong job

I think it’s disgusting the amount they pay themselves.

Would never stick up for some of these corrupt people.
    Hell of a lot of good people who work tirelessly do it for the right reasons.
    Not everyone is the same.
    Done some work with British heart foundation and those I worked with are inspiring.
    It’s important to acknowledge that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yak View Post
    Would never stick up for some of these corrupt people.
    Hell of a lot of good people who work tirelessly do it for the right reasons.
    Not everyone is the same.
    Done some work with British heart foundation and those I worked with are inspiring.
    It’s important to acknowledge that.
    I acknowledge that, I know charitable people who do a good job for nothing to which I will continue to support but still it’s disgusing what they pay themselves (some obviously)

Yep your not wrong.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast