+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We’re not good enough for the premiership

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    1975 springs to mind for me had another great team that nearly got to europe the best midfielder in england and just needed a couple of quality signings to be going for the title and who do we buy chris guthrie !!!
    Good shout SOB as other years spring to mind when we have been let down my the deep rooted mentality that is embedded in our great club.

One year for me was when we played Leeds at home on the last day of the season or very near to, Leeds were on the verge of the league title but what I witnessed that day was (Apart from the infamous Brian Gayle own goal) a classy display from the Blades despite losing 3-2 when I walked away from that game thinking, wow, we only have to get Deano a partner up front and a tweak here and there to actually go for a top 6 (yes - top 6) the next season.

The rest of course is history as we actually deteriorated from that day onwards.

That is why I fear the future medium term as CW is not daft and he is not going to hang around for much longer due to the innate lack of ambition in comparison to other even smaller clubs than ourselves.

Just listen to CW in his pre and post match interviews as despite telling it as it is you can also read between the lines and feel his frustrations because he is a Blade at the end of the day which makes it even harder for him to stomach.

UTB

yeah the thing is chris knew the sp at the lane when he took the job hes been involved one way or the other most of his life but you can tell hes frustrated he knows given the right backing he could achieve things here its looking increasingly like its gonna be down to king kev to find us some new investment otherwise i do fear chris might well be captured by a more ambitious club

the other thing i will say is that although ive posted on another thread that if we dont go up we need 3 to 4 players in the summer if and its a big if we hang on to the boy wonder with coutts coming back will be like signing 2 new players we definetly need a physical target man and a young pacy striker up top

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    the other thing i will say is that although ive posted on another thread that if we dont go up we need 3 to 4 players in the summer if and its a big if we hang on to the boy wonder with coutts coming back will be like signing 2 new players we definetly need a physical target man and a young pacy striker up top
    we've been saying we need a pacy striker for 2 years now - and still we don't buy one.....perhaps CW does not agree

Quote Originally Posted by Ayamonteblade View Post
    we've been saying we need a pacy striker for 2 years now - and still we don't buy one.....perhaps CW does not agree
    Maybe pace, with goalscoring skill,costs more than we have to spend.

We all know CW has performed relaative miracles with what he has at his disposal but there's only so long that endeavour, team spirit, commitment and guile will last.Money, spent well,is the (ATM) missing ingredient.

Problem is, that now we are making meaningful progress, the chef might b ugger off if he still has to buy scrag end instead of fillet.

The club would not be out of place in the Premier League
    The team that the club would invest in might be
    Some of the fans of the club might also be

Being in the Premier League is apparently worth £170 million per season, even Bournemouth, Huddersfield and Watford can and have spent £15 - £20 million on a player
    Just think about that figure for a second.......£170 million..........even we'd manage to sign a £2 million player with that kind of money coming in.
    We'd still end up skint though for some strange reason that nobody would be able to understand

Quote Originally Posted by JJBlade View Post
    The club would not be out of place in the Premier League
    The team that the club would invest in might be
    Some of the fans of the club might also be

Being in the Premier League is apparently worth £170 million per season, even Bournemouth, Huddersfield and Watford can and have spent £15 - £20 million on a player
    Just think about that figure for a second.......£170 million..........even we'd manage to sign a £2 million player with that kind of money coming in.
    We'd still end up skint though for some strange reason that nobody would be able to understand
    Exactly JJ , the team that gets you up is not the team that plays in the PL.

You spend money but don't sign daft contracts. You do your utmost to stay up but, if the worst comes to the worst, you've got enough left to challenge meaningfully to get back up , maybe a couple of yo-yo seasons then you consolidate.

It's not a new business model, it's common sense.

We've had over a decade to learn that lesson. We've got an upcoming, bright, savvy maanager and, last but not least Robson's no longer around ( is he?????)

of course it does tt chris knows it as well but until more investment comes in we havent a chance really i wonder if we might have to look to europe ???

Just why is everyone after a promotion to the top league so quickly......it's not logical?
    Take our time, please.

UTCB

Quote Originally Posted by Chips1889 View Post
    Just why is everyone after a promotion to the top league so quickly......it's not logical?
    Take our time, please.

UTCB
    It's not logical not to want to get to the top. It's why you compete.

Plenty on this thread have pointed out why you havw to take the opportunity when it's there.

If you 'wait' until you're ready then there's no guarantees.

Just ask those at S6, play off final, play offs in the last 2 yearrs, looking more like getting out of the Champ via the trapdoor this year and they LOOKED much more 'ready' than us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast