+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Oliver Burke

Oliver Burke

I think this lad has genuine pace and strength, plus determination. All ingredients that we're going to need in abundance throughout the team next season.......this season would have been nice too but that Oss has bolted!

The reason for my post is to look at his 'mysterious ' performance yesterday. Firstly, we start him, excellent! Next he makes the kind of run and cross which instantly gives us what we've missing.

Now what follows I don't get, he played the remainder of the game too much inside and not out on the touch line trying to stretch Leicester's back line. Also, when he received the ball he played it backwards or sidewards rather than run at people into the corner. Our midfield didn't really send the ball out to him either, but giving he wasn't there half the time it's no surprise.

The questions I asked yesterday were, how has he been asked to play or is this lack of positioning in more attacking areas down to him?

He's a talent I want to see stay so fathoming how to get the best out of him could be crucial, who that will be down to remains a mystery.

We desperately need more youth and guile in this team, as if potentially seeing Leeds rock up with Roberts up front and seeing Woods at Burnley isn't bad enough, this lad needs coaching correctly as he could be a major threat for us if he stays.

Him and Leko our our most exciting youngsters we have. Lets hope we hold on to them and use them properly

I'm sure that if the Pearson/Shakespeare combination were in charge both Burke and Leko would get their chances as they believe in youngsters.

I have said before, I think he lacks football knowledge he did some really good things yesterday then at other times wanders around like a lost school boy which would explain why he hasn't been starting regularly, you can only tell a player so many times what positions to take up. Next season he will be a real handful in the championship.

You can feel energy or a lack of it. If the team has no belief even after going a goal up if it concedes the lack of belief comes flooding back. Weve probably all played in teams even at a lower level where you cant stop losing and at the other end you cant stop winning. Its all about confidence. Oliver Burke played well yesterday but the kids HAVE to have experienced players around them to teach them some sense. Unfortunately a lot of our older players dont exactly have a lot of sense, especially with decision making in front of goal. We need a combination of youth and experience. Too much youth and we will get slaughtered. To many old players and we will be out paced. When I say Old I mean players who have lost their pace. You cant judge that on someone who is older having one bad match. Mcauley is a great example of an older player in great shape but they have to have regular play to keep the level up. Its all common sense really.

Undoubtedly quick and therefore an asset that will be of significance to us in the Championship. Needs positive coaching to maximise his skills and understand to release the ball earlier...not always take on more players at speed. Some similarities to McClean, but he would get my call before James.

On each occasion I have seen him he manages to get to the bye line and whip in a decent cross just needs a decent striker to put the ball in the net...so at the moment the lad will struggle to shine.

As he doesn't seem to improve it's clear he needs some decent coaching...will he ever get that from a bloke like Carver?

Absolute c rap player who cannot do the basics of a winger's work, that being using trickery to go past players.

I just don't see any positive when thinking his attributes.

He played pretty much a full season in Germany last year so obviously has something about him.
    Leko, hopefully will come good but has failed in the Championship this season.

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    He played pretty much a full season in Germany last year so obviously has something about him.
    Leko, hopefully will come good but has failed in the Championship this season.
    25 appearances in the Bundesliga, most of them as a sub'.

Only had an hour or more in five of those appearances, scored one and provided two assists all season.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/oliv...1/verein/23826

When we signed him I remember reading he didn't start more often (and was sold) because the coaches at Red Bull thought he was too much of an individual and didn't necessarily fit their team ethos. It was also stated he struggled with the tactical side of his game.

We invested heavily in raw potential which is fine if more established players remain free from injury, deliver the creative goods, and managers select line ups and employ tactics for them to do so. He needs time and effective support from the backroom staff to bring his game on, from the outside looking in I've no idea how much he's had of either.

He has all of the raw materials to make an excellent player, whether he has the footballing brain and patience to develop this potential is very much open to conjecture. He needs to open his ears, engage his noggin and apply himself. Otherwise he'll end up as another could've been, who stands there during games admiring the good he does while ignoring the bad, arms outstretched in frustration at those around him.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)