+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally some facts!

Finally some facts!

Hey all. Hope you don't mind me introducing myself with a new thread, but I've been debating whether to join for a while. Its been sad to see the board slip into argument rather than discussion. Anyway, came across an article today that might help promote discussion, as it actually has some 'facts' we can debate. It makes for fascinating reading.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/l...sfers-14472542

Good article, until the last sentence or two.

Being "outgunned", isn't the point, as the statistics show. You can spend big and not get much result, as Leeds Have, or you can spend wisely and reap the benefit, as Dudds have

I know some will say "here he goes again", but frankly I don't care. Not hijacking anything, Just saying what is as plain as day for most, you spend on an asset you have confidence will improve, not gamble (the house always wins).

See "Radrizzani take note" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Good article, until the last sentence or two.

Being "outgunned", isn't the point, as the statistics show. You can spend big and not get much result, as Leeds Have, or you can spend wisely and reap the benefit, as Dudds have

I know some will say "here he goes again", but frankly I don't care. Not hijacking anything, Just saying what is as plain as day for most, you spend on an asset you have confidence will improve, not gamble (the house always wins).

See "Radrizzani take note" thread.
    Hey WTF agree to some extent but using data analytics the club would say they try to take most of the gamble out of it.

Still annoyed that they binned TC as most teams would nose dive with so many players out.

Biggest call owner has is PH - is he the man to take us forward or not - if he decides he is then he should give him the whole season regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintadore View Post
    Hey all. Hope you don't mind me introducing myself with a new thread, but I've been debating whether to join for a while. Its been sad to see the board slip into argument rather than discussion. Anyway, came across an article today that might help promote discussion, as it actually has some 'facts' we can debate. It makes for fascinating reading.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/l...sfers-14472542
    Welcome on board Mr F - I'll have a brew and then read your article link

In the video I like H's use of the word aggressive, I have thought more than once that we are a bit of a soft touch; we get our share of cards but often for just been late. Do you think he is going to get Michael Brown back, he's doing nowt at the moment after been sacked as manager at port Vale, he could coach one or two on the darker art of football, Jansson could take a few tips as he is all too often so obvious he has overdone things.

One question jumps off the page, how the f did Burnley get promoted and stay up?

God knows but when they sell their best players this summer they'll be rich, mee tarkovski pope Heaton defour gudmunsson vokes and Barnes all rumoured to be touted by other clubs willing to pay anything from 10m up to 30 mil, theyll need to buy a new squad lol

what I took from the article is that you don't need to spend big to get promoted. A couple of seasons of strategic investment, a decent manager and some luck seems to be the winning formula.

Gives me a bit more optimism for the summer transfer window, we don't need many more additions. Get rid of a few, bring in 3-4 quality players, supplement from the academy, support the manager and I think we will be a real promotion force next season.

Quote Originally Posted by LeedsFTW View Post
    what I took from the article is that you don't need to spend big to get promoted. A couple of seasons of strategic investment, a decent manager and some luck seems to be the winning formula.

Gives me a bit more optimism for the summer transfer window, we don't need many more additions. Get rid of a few, bring in 3-4 quality players, supplement from the academy, support the manager and I think we will be a real promotion force next season.
    Absolutely agree on the way to funding quality rather than quantity. Just hope the message has been received, and those responsible have the ability, skill, contacts to change from past practices.

Couldn't agree more that its about how we spend our budget. AR has a five (now four) year plan. He's spent a net 9mill this year and AK has just stated that ALL of the season ticket money will go to the transfer budget next year, which is again about 9mill. So, if the plan is net 9mill/year, then with the right manager/structure, there's no reason to doubt that plan. Clearly the structure is being well developed, and I'm hopeful about PH.

So, its down to VOand his scouting team. We need to spend wisely on quality 'first team' players. Do I have faith?...well if we look at this year's attempt, I think there's some signs of hope.
    They bought three quality first team players in Jansson (3.6M), Forshaw 4.5M, and Saiz (3.2M). That's a total of 11.3M; almost half the spend.
    They bought 'value for money potential in Alioski 2.3M, Roberts 2.5M, Ideguchi 0.5M, and Ekuban 0.5M; that's 20% of the spend.

They probably only wasted money on Klich 1.5M (although he might be better than we think), De Bock 1.5M, Wiedwald 0.5M, Cibicki 1.4M, Grot 1.4M, and Sacko (24) 1.5M.

I don't think 70% success is a bad strike rate if your looking for bargains, and the three big outlays have all been good, so if (as FTW says),they can bring in 3/4 quality players, sell some dead wood, and supplement with the development squad, then who knows; within the next few years we might just get that long waited for 'promotion'.

Quote Originally Posted by LeedsFTW View Post

Had a quick glance but didn't read it all. Did it mention the regular methods employed to avoid sticking to the rules, as well? That is an enormous factor in some recent promotions. And it's where the 'little bit of luck' is maybe created rather than received. For example the very shadowy machinations during Leicester's promotion season (for which they have now been punished, if you can call it that, given the mighty long-term rewards they've gained compared to the minuscule sanctions) show the ability to create 'luck' is far more important than letting it come to you.

It seems Radrizzani has deliberately tried to manipulate the FL with his recent statements about Wolves - could be a clever move. If you're not going to punish this kind of thing, we'll do it too. And therefore you won't be able to punish us once you get your act together, because you didn't do anything now.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)