+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'The Leave List'

Can't see McClean doing anything in the championship unless of course the fullbacks are two foot tall. That is the only way he wouldn't hit the first man every single time he tried to cross the ball.
    There is not a coach on the planet who could install in Phillips what he hasn't got. That being bottle he is a complete and utter coward. No fight in him whatsoever. Hides on the pitch, he can't even run anymore. Still if he went that would only leave Alan "no first touch" Nyom to model the gloves.

I think Chadli will be kicked to pieces in the Championship and McClean would be a good fit but for one thing....If he comes close to being sent off every match in the prem he WILL be sent off a lot in the championship (They will wind him up like a spring)
    How does Myhil exist? Never understood reserve keepers, how do they do it? nothing but training for most seasons? Chris is right though, he hasnt put a foot wrong for us when he has played so why would you replace him?
    I think Gibbs has been one of our most consistant performers, would love to keep him, and Evans but I think there's little to no chance of keeping them. I dont give a monkeys now about Taxi gate. I really can let things go, one of the things getting older has taught me. Foster will be a great keep. Who would want Rondon? Does everything except what he's supposed to do....score goals on a regular basis. If Villa really do want Livermore we should sell for an England international price but dont mention how much he WONT be missed until they sign. Hegazi is a beast of a defender, really like him and so do many pundits and commentators for obvious reasons. As to anything else.........I JUST DONT KNOW. or care much at this moment in time. I'm still sulking over our lack of Ambition club. Should never have happened.

I have no time for any of this rabble whatsoever. They can all do one. I am sick of the sight of em. They have let all of us down week after week. Over an entire calendar year of absolute rubbish. The first thing the new coach needs to do is find a captain a proper ******* of one an all. Because in the current entire squad there isn't one.

I think the players who stay/leave or join us over the summer will depend on the factors already mentioned but also who will be the head coach/manager and what will be the style of play.
    For example, whilst Dawson has been a good player for us, that was mostly whilst playing Pulisball.
    He's not a ball playing defender or a wingback, so it may be judicious to move him on and get a good fee for him if we're going down the route of appointing a coach whose teams play out from the back and want pace and quality down the flanks

We'll need a defensive midfielder who can pass the ball accurately to more forward players. Yacob is great at what he does but it's pretty basic and restricted plus he's slow which in a fast moving game like the Chump might mean he'd be found wanting.

Brunt and Morrison I'd keep. They're professionals and have been there and done it before.
    Somebody will buy Rondon for 8m. Chadli will pout until he gets his move. Evans has already left in spirit.

I'd try and offload HRK. He just isn't quality. He didn't rip up any trees for Reading, so is unlikely to do so for us.
    Will JRod accept playing in the second tier and get on with it or will he sulk?

We need to get rid of Philipps and Livermore. Neither seems to consistently play well.
    Keep Burke, Leko and Gibbs if he'll stay.

Them's my onions. I'd love it if we appointed a modern thinking coach who combined flair and steel to make us attractive to watch and difficult to beat. That will take a while to achieve which is why we need a young hungry manager with modern ideas and give him time. If it takes a few years I'm up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionmad View Post
    I think the players who stay/leave or join us over the summer will depend on the factors already mentioned but also who will be the head coach/manager and what will be the style of play.
    For example, whilst Dawson has been a good player for us, that was mostly whilst playing Pulisball.
    He's not a ball playing defender or a wingback, so it may be judicious to move him on and get a good fee for him if we're going down the route of appointing a coach whose teams play out from the back and want pace and quality down the flanks
    I mean, its all opinions, but I cant say I agree with your view on Dawson. Pulis gets a lot of flak on here, and its probably deserved. But what he did know was how to set a team up to defend. His downfall was his lack of adventure and lack of any kind of attacking idea or principle.

However, what we need is the right balance between attack and defence. I don't want to play Mowbray football where we'd dominate the ball but give sloppy set piece goals away. We need a team who will fight, defend properly and look pleasing on the eye going forward. And play winning football. I know this is easier said than done, but Dawson is a quality and proven premier league defender in my opinion and still has years left in front of him. So I'd go all out to keep him, more than anyone, this summer.

I think he does a job at right back but as he gets older he'll be more a centre half anyway and when Evans eventually leaves us this summer, he'd fit in nicely at CB with Hegazi (If he's still here next year). Those two have played well together when Evans wasn't there. I think he's fine on the ball, I don't think he's a hoof ball type defender at all. I also hear he's a solid pro.

I do agree with you about pace on the wings / full back etc. But if we keep him, Hegazi and Foster. That's a solid GK and two Centre halves for next season..

That's been my thinking regarding Dawson. I'd move him to the centre of defence with Hegazi and make him captain. He's the right age and experience and I think that we should do all we can to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    Just to explain my opinions.....

Myhill makes the list because of Taxi-gate. Looking from the outside in, I think there is something toxic in our dressing room so I would clear out all 4 of those players. Also, we have a promising young keeper (Palmer) who I think could be promoted to our number 2 spot.

Phillips, just seems to be getting worse and worse this season. Bottling challenges won't help us in the championship. He does show glimpses of quality (predominantly last season) but he is the ultimate Mr Inconsistent.

Chadli, hasn't wanted to know all season in the prem. Doubt he would in the championship. Nyom, played brilliantly for us when he had to fill in at left back for a season. I agree him and McClean aren't premiership level, but I think they could make an impact in the championship.

Robson Kanu is just devoid of any quality. Apart from that one moment in a European championship for Wales which he will dine out on for the rest of his life.

Hope you aren't right about Dawson, but fear you are. If we can keep him, I'd make him captain and build a side around him.
    Think you summed it up perfectly, Robson Kanu ha ha

There is one big factor that will determine who goes and that will be is anyone else prepared to pay the players the sort of money that they want? I would hope that we will be looking to get reasonable fees for most of these players but that will make them less attractive to purchasers if they are also wanting big wages and big add ones for agents etc.

Our wage structure appears to have gone through the roof over the last couple of years and the players are now well overpaid for what they produced this year. Would you be prepared to buy the likes of Chadli for a decent transfer fee, big wages and add ons? I certainly wouldn’t and it is the same for many of the squad who we would want to move on.

Bottom line is if the players can’t get the sort of package they want, plus the club getting what they want, then some of them will be here next year if we want them out or not. The power is with the players now far more than the club. I suspect there will be wage reductions in their contracts for taking us down into the Championship (hope so anyway) but they are hardly the most attractive bunch for other clubs given their ages and the lack of quality they have shown over the last 18 months.

Yeh, but we've saved a fortune on win bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    There is one big factor that will determine who goes and that will be is anyone else prepared to pay the players the sort of money that they want? I would hope that we will be looking to get reasonable fees for most of these players but that will make them less attractive to purchasers if they are also wanting big wages and big add ones for agents etc.

Our wage structure appears to have gone through the roof over the last couple of years and the players are now well overpaid for what they produced this year. Would you be prepared to buy the likes of Chadli for a decent transfer fee, big wages and add ons? I certainly wouldn’t and it is the same for many of the squad who we would want to move on.

Bottom line is if the players can’t get the sort of package they want, plus the club getting what they want, then some of them will be here next year if we want them out or not. The power is with the players now far more than the club. I suspect there will be wage reductions in their contracts for taking us down into the Championship (hope so anyway) but they are hardly the most attractive bunch for other clubs given their ages and the lack of quality they have shown over the last 18 months.
    If the previous chairmen have done their jobs properly (I have my doubts) then every player would have a relegation clause so that their salary would dramatically reduce if we were relegated.

If you look at the list and their estimated value/salaries;

Sturridge & Pole were on £100k each.
    Johnny Evans must be on £75k, he will leave for £3m by the looks of it.
    Gareth Barry must be on a good wedge too. I don't think he'll take up the offer of a new contract for next year.
    Rondon has been linked with a £16.5m move to West Ham in today's Telegraph. That would be a decent price for us to sell at.
    Chadli was linked with a £25m move to Swansea last year, I don't think we'd get that for him but we might get a similar figure to the one being bandied about for Rondon. I would imagine both are on at least £50k
    There will be a promoted club or a team towards the bottom of the prem come in for Livermore, we paid £10m for him and I expect we'd recoup that. His England call ups have probably given him some value.
    Phillips, we paid £5m for - I'd take that for him if anyone was interested in him.
    HRK / Myhill would leave for free

If that lot leave, we would have saved a fortune on wages and would get around £50m in transfer fees.

Maybe I'm dreaming!
    Last edited by WBA123; 10-04-2018 at 02:42 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)