+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 453 of 530 FirstFirst ... 353403443451452453454455463503 ... LastLast
Results 4,521 to 4,530 of 5293

Thread: 2018 Summer recruitment

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    Football's much more short term these days anyway though. Every year we bring guys in on permanent deals and cut our losses after a year when they don't work out... Maynard, Stockley, Tansey etc.

If it's a loan from the EPL we're probably getting a level of player we couldn't otherwise afford and who will be able to play in all of our games, so I've no issue with that. I'm against loaning players from our own league as they can't play against their parent club and it disrupts the team having them in and out of the side as a result of that.
    I read that a lot about getting a player we couldn't otherwise afford when we deal in the loan market. I'm not arguing with you here Don, you make a valid point but the English market is so outrageously inflated that not being able to afford someone is no longer any guarantee of quality. Wilson may turn out good but I'm concerned about taking someone who earns such high wages in comparison with his teammates (even though we're only paying a percentage)

Borrowing players is the equivalent of buying SKY TV or allowing champion's league dropouts into the europa league in that it guarantees the domination of the bigger clubs.

To borrow a player from Celtic is an abomination which should NEVER be repeated.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeachend View Post
    We'll be picking up 20% of his weekly wage or thereabouts, it's a lazy acquisition and the economical one.
    Even 20% of his wages would be £6k/week which, I imagine, would be on the very upper end of what we are paying anyone else in the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Borrowing players is the equivalent of buying SKY TV or allowing champion's league dropouts into the europa league in that it guarantees the domination of the bigger clubs.
    Does it not also follow on to the likes of ourselves loaning out players like McKenna.
    Would we have benefited had Scott not gone out on loan?

Quote Originally Posted by medw1311 View Post
    Even 20% of his wages would be £6k/week which, I imagine, would be on the very upper end of what we are paying anyone else in the squad.

Maybe the club are hoping as Man Utd have a huge following in the Far East that some of the James Wilson fans from over there will start following the dons thereby generating more monies from sale of merchandise in the Far East. Who knows some may even come to visit Pittodrie whilst they can .

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    Does it not also follow on to the likes of ourselves loaning out players like McKenna.
    Would we have benefited had Scott not gone out on loan?

Of course it does.

Wuillie Miller played at Peterhead.

Perhaps there needs to be some allowance at a lower level for very young lads, maybe just a cap on how many can be farmed out.

It used to work fine in years gone by but it's counter productive to the game now.

You just have to look at how Celtic behave.

Quote Originally Posted by medw1311 View Post
    Amazed he is a 30k a week player in the final year of a 4 year deal. He is set up without any career to speak of. My estimate of 20% is likely high. Closer to 10. If the club want to improve we need permanent signings.

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    ... not being able to afford someone is no longer any guarantee of quality...
    Nailed it in a nutshell. Too many people blinded by the 'he plays for Manchester United' label, or 'he's come from the English Premier League and is on 30k a week' - when I look at players I want to see at Aberdeen I ask myself whether they have been successful previously at other SPL clubs or at a level comparable elsewhere. Rooney was a regular goalscorer at Inverness and did OK at a few clubs down south. Other players we have signed who did not do well down south had done well in Scotland before - Mark Reynolds being the obvious one. James Wilson's track record is not one which tells me that he can get us 20+ goals a season. And for the money we'll be shelling out in wages, and the fact we won't even own the guy because he's only on loan, I don't think that's a reason to celebrate.

I look forward to seeing him play. I really hope he steps up and proves himself worthy of our number 9 shirt.

I genuinely don't remember seeing this guy at all. Ok taking a player on loan if half decent but will need to see him play before I can make any judgement. he has to be better than Cosgrove.

I thought May was a bit better on Saturday.Anderson looked lively when he came on. Cosgrove needs to be last in the queue to be used occasionally when we want someone to batter the opposition centre halves.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Of course it does.

Wuillie Miller played at Peterhead.

Perhaps there needs to be some allowance at a lower level for very young lads, maybe just a cap on how many can be farmed out.

It used to work fine in years gone by but it's counter productive to the game now.

You just have to look at how Celtic behave.
    Chelsea have over 50 players out on loan! Ridiculous. Michael Hector is a very wealthy young man with multiple loan moves on his CV. It's not the way imo.

Page 453 of 530 FirstFirst ... 353403443451452453454455463503 ... LastLast