+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Things You Once Did Until Technology Came Along

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Coats for goalposts Filey

Coats bluddy luxury

Wat no kick can?

First tv I saw was a neighbours 9" screen with a magnifying glass on a stand[bit like a parrot stand]
    But were we appy?
    Can tha put up a link to the Four Yorkshiremen Monty Python sketch on You Tube please Ziles ? It wud fit in here seamlessly.

Its nice to know we've got a player named after my hometown, Sid 'the skinner' Normanton.

I liked a bit that Jasper Carrot once said about the modern day electronic thing, he said he tried to be part of it once and bought a mobile phone, but he put it down somewhere and it got lost. And apparently he never had that problem with the old landline phone, because it had that extremely handy habit of always being attactched to his house.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Can tha put up a link to the Four Yorkshiremen Monty Python sketch on You Tube please Ziles ? It wud fit in here seamlessly.

Your wish is my command SB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE

Had to button up mi flies until they introduced a zip
    Now that's technology

Quote Originally Posted by Fileytyke View Post
    Turning the electric light on for the first time in the 1950s. I lived in Wath-on-dearne opposite the Manvers main pit where I used to work before joining the Royal Navy.We only had gas lighting and the house was 2 up 2 down with one cold tap in the kitchen and the toilet down the yard.The only entertainment was the radio which was worked by a accumulator which was a battery as big as a car battery which we had to take to the garage about a mile away in a barrow to be charged.Our bathroom hung on a nail outside,it was a tin bath and us kids had to get in one after the other hoping that the ones before you had not peed in the bath.The first TV I saw was in London when my Dad took me to watch Barnsley play Arsenal in the FA Cup which we lost 4-0,Skinner Normanton was taken off on a stretcher in the first 15 minutes after a foul by the Arsenal hard man which I think was Jimmy Logan.We went to my uncles house in London for tea and that was where I saw the TV for the first time,it was a great big cabinet with a 9 inch screen.Our playground was any spare bit of ground where we could play football or cricket failing that it was in the back street with coats for goalposts and a dustbin lid held up by a house brick for wickets when we played cricket. I think we had a better childhood than the kids now a days because there were no drugs,mugging or thieving because we had nothing to pinch and you could go out without locking the doors knowing that nothing would be missing when we got back.These were the “Good old days”when people had nothing and sometimes we went hungry but we were safe.
    Great post Filey

It sounds like Normanton nowadays except the drugs bit

Quote Originally Posted by Fileytyke View Post
    Turning the electric light on for the first time in the 1950s. I lived in Wath-on-dearne opposite the Manvers main pit where I used to work before joining the Royal Navy.We only had gas lighting and the house was 2 up 2 down with one cold tap in the kitchen and the toilet down the yard.The only entertainment was the radio which was worked by a accumulator which was a battery as big as a car battery which we had to take to the garage about a mile away in a barrow to be charged.Our bathroom hung on a nail outside,it was a tin bath and us kids had to get in one after the other hoping that the ones before you had not peed in the bath.The first TV I saw was in London when my Dad took me to watch Barnsley play Arsenal in the FA Cup which we lost 4-0,Skinner Normanton was taken off on a stretcher in the first 15 minutes after a foul by the Arsenal hard man which I think was Jimmy Logan.We went to my uncles house in London for tea and that was where I saw the TV for the first time,it was a great big cabinet with a 9 inch screen.Our playground was any spare bit of ground where we could play football or cricket failing that it was in the back street with coats for goalposts and a dustbin lid held up by a house brick for wickets when we played cricket. I think we had a better childhood than the kids now a days because there were no drugs,mugging or thieving because we had nothing to pinch and you could go out without locking the doors knowing that nothing would be missing when we got back.These were the “Good old days”when people had nothing and sometimes we went hungry but we were safe.

Lovely post Filey. Amazing how times change but tha reight, kids all laikin together off street and happy, lookin art fo one another. Nardays the housebound most on em on computers, tablets or mobiles. A dunt care what they say tha couldn't beat a game o footy or cricket art in fresh air wi all thi mates off street. Gimme that over being indoors any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Thank you very much Ziles.

Getting paid in cash and checking it tallied up before opening the small brown envelope fully .

Reading mucky books instead of cracking off to RedTube

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    Reading mucky books instead of cracking off to RedTube

It ed to be 'RED' tube mucky bugga

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast