+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 1st May 1971

1st May 1971

BLADES 3 Watford 0 and the MIGHTY MAGNIFICENT BLADES were promoted to the then First Division.What a team that was.UTCB

got in all that season as a junior till the 1st of may got to within 5 yards of turnstyles on john st and this big seargent pulled me and me mate out of que ended up having to go in at top of shoreham and ended up watching game right round by cricket pitch lol

Do you think that side played better football than our present one did last season rod?

Quote Originally Posted by charliejoejohn2 View Post
    Do you think that side played better football than our present one did last season rod?
    I've loved watchin Wilders side for the most part but that 70-71 side and the few years after it in my view were wonderful and not in't "Pub"League, so no i don't think this side play better football.TC,WOODY are the best 2 players i've seen in a BLADES shirt absolutely top drawer,plus i was a young BLADE full of optimism abart life as a BLADE. UTCB

Started going at end of Jimmy Hagan era when we had a good side but agree TC Woody team was the best ive seen .Three or four passes from the full backs through TC and Salmons to the forwards and the ball would be in the net.No tippy tappy on the wings shooting from distance, some wonder goals especially from Woody and probably the best corners and variety giving our forwards a much easier task in scoring wish the current team would take note and show more initiative we must get the most corners with no result very frustrating UTB

Quote Originally Posted by charliejoejohn2 View Post
    One thing about the 70/71 team,is that they played on some awful pitches,imagine TC on the carpet that is our pitch these days,he would have looked even more God like genius .

My vote goes to the 70/71 team,btw

i will second that mr block