+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT - Memories of 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Demise is an under statement isnt it lol. I went to Blunder Park once in Aug 92 for a Lg Cup 1st leg match (we drew both games 1-1 and they won on pens at our place), it was freezing and we couldnt wait to get in and get straight out of the place.
    Its bad enough when we get the 'teams like Barnsley' thing from these bigger teams and some of them are ex-Prem teams of course. But when its 'teams like Grimsby' who think they can lord it over us, well thats another matter.
    To be fair in the late 70's and early 80's they had a seriously good team .

They got promoted with us in 79 and got promoted again the season after in 1980 .

We caught them up eventually but to be fair they were ahead of us for a short time .

Proper loathed them for many years , it was always an interesting walk from the pubs of Cleethorpes to Blundell Park back in the day I'll give them that .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    We took a huge following to Blundell Park a month before , at least 7k and I think they thought they were a big cheese in the 4th division , they weren't .

They won the game 2-0 and stuck it up us but we had our revenge that night .

There was never any love lost with the cod heads right up to the 90's .

Bit different today of course and you'd struggle to see a rivalry because of their demise , not playing the billy big time card just looking at their recent history .
    Grimsby hated everyone up to mid 90’s

Nasty place Grimsby. They always seemed to do us at their place. The best one I remember was the 3-2 win in '97 when super John scored 3 and two of them were cheeky back flicks. They were struggling at the foot of the division and we were flying going for automatic promotion. Despite being darn to 10 men they put up a helluva feight and there was nothing between the teams on the night. Only our extra quality in the final 3rd was the difference and we pinched it as is normally the case when a team is up theear guin fo promotion .

Nasty horrible atmosphere on leaving the ground, chuff me it were hostile darn them side streets. House bricks coming at us, fence posts, cones or whatever they could get their hands on. When the b@s tards ran art o missiles we turned on em and they legged it. Cant do with the w@ nkers since that neet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12