+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: World cup squad

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstonbob1 View Post
    Tbh I haven't given a flying feck about Engerland since I saw the loons who followed them in the 70/80s smashing everyone and everything when they travelled abroad. Newcastle for me every time. Engerland are alongside Sland as the laughing stock. Looking at that squad there is no one who can pick a pass in the midfield so if Vardy is playing the forward passes for him to utilise his pace will be non-existent. As for CB none of those picked have played any better than Lascelles. Pfft Stones hasn't he been out most of the season?

Ill laugh mysell daft when they are knocked out in the early stages again. Stress free summer.
    and newcastle fans never smashed any thing up
    pheck we set light to a fan and killed a sunderland fan
    will that stop you following the toon

a reason soutgate didnt pick shelvey for me is simple
    under pressure and tracking back shelvey doesnt do it
    pinging a ball 30-40 yards there arent many better in england

but more teams play the pressing game and i just cant see his long balls working like that

the further he drops to pick the ball up the further up the field the opposition can press

under pressure he snaps

and we wont win a world cup or games with 10 on the field at this level

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post

but more teams play the pressing game and i just cant see his long balls working like that

the further he drops to pick the ball up the further up the field the opposition can press

under pressure he snaps

Not true at all. He's obviously matured as a footballer this season. He's not a master defensively, but is that why Southgate should take him to the WC? To defend? Seems to me he needs someone who can do the opposite.

Does he have a temper? Yes, and that may result in a red card. But that goes for almost all footballers in the world. It's happened with him one or two times too many, but he doesn't just snap under pressure.

That Deli Ali isn't a red card and a cheating diving get is he.Livermore on stand by.Nicked a taxi in Spain and tested positive for cocaine in the past.
    Never mind though.Let the lads enjoy a holiday and let the soft southern monkeys follow England around Russia.

under pressure he snaps

Even if this was right, with 20 minutes to go, England needing a goal and the opposition tiring, I can't think of anyone else I'd rather bring off the bench just now.

why would they be

both are not good enough for england
    both decent players
    but not for england at the moment
    And Loftus Cheek and Alexander Arnold are

Quote Originally Posted by MidsMagpie View Post
    And Loftus Cheek and Alexander Arnold are
    nope but every manager will take some young blood

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    Even if this was right, with 20 minutes to go, England needing a goal and the opposition tiring, I can't think of anyone else I'd rather bring off the bench just now.
    I cant see how southgate is wrong but nearly every other manager also didn't want him or consider him long term or for tournaments

the problem you have when you bring him on is you leave great big wholes behind him when he goes walking around looking for the ball

also most world class teams can sit deep and stop him pinging long balls in the last 20 minutes

I would prefer to bring someone on who could carry the ball and run at tired defenders etc

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    Not true at all. He's obviously matured as a footballer this season. He's not a master defensively, but is that why Southgate should take him to the WC? To defend? Seems to me he needs someone who can do the opposite.

Does he have a temper? Yes, and that may result in a red card. But that goes for almost all footballers in the world. It's happened with him one or two times too many, but he doesn't just snap under pressure.
    I just don't feel his temperament is right for tourney footy
    under pressure for several weeks away from home etc
    he does need attacking players
    but he has those in abundance with wing backs etc etc

I just don't feel his temperament is right for tourney footy
    under pressure for several weeks away from home etc
    he does need attacking players
    but he has those in abundance with wing backs etc etc
    His temperament is fine for 'tourney footy'. I would agree that for a guy his age, 4 Premier League red cards is way too much and in many ways not okay. Compare that to other players in his position (Henderson: 1, Delph: 1, Dier: 0, Dele Alli: 0 though it's a joke he's never had one).

But to draw the conclusion that he would get a rise in temper just by playing in the World Cup is a bit far fetched IMO. I think he'd be fine. He'd know what arena he's playing in.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)