+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 285 of 339 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286287295335 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,850 of 3384

Thread: General News Chat

Scottish Labour

No such a thing exists.

The Herald?

That'll be the glasgow herald you refer to.

I'm nae reading that weegie rag.

Nitrous Oxide will be banned in a crackdown on anti-social behaviour, Michael Gove has confirmed

'Boris Johnson is a man of integrity,’ Levelling up secretary Michael Gove agreed on Sophy Ridge on Sunday

When questioned on the show this morning about whether he thinks the former prime minister is a man of integrity, Mr Gove replied: “I think that Boris is someone who puts the country first, yes,”

The first step is to stop using it himself.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeDon View Post
    It's a good article Vintage and covers many of the problems facing the UK as a whole and the origins of the problems.

What I took from it was never trust politicians and happy to say I don't.
    I distrust many of them, but a “they’re all the same” attitude is exactly the apathy that the dark forces of the right feed on. For example, in my decades of direct political activity, we had to be sure to get the logistics right in getting voters to polling stations on election days. The belief that voters of the right will always turn out to vote was correct. The left (maybe even the pretendy left, or ‘progressives’ - clears throat, satisfying ‘ting’ of the spittoon) has always dreaded bad weather on polling day, as the vote is far less dedicated than that of the forces of conservatism.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    I distrust many of them, but a “they’re all the same” attitude is exactly the apathy that the dark forces of the right feed on. For example, in my decades of direct political activity, we had to be sure to get the logistics right in getting voters to polling stations on election days. The belief that voters of the right will always turn out to vote was correct. The left (maybe even the pretendy left, or ‘progressives’ - clears throat, satisfying ‘ting’ of the spittoon) has always dreaded bad weather on polling day, as the vote is far less dedicated than that of the forces of conservatism.
    I know there are good ones, on all sides. The problem is good ones don't usually seek higher office. Career politicians too make my teeth itch.

I'm afraid I don't know any of the answers though. I tick the box for SNP in the hope that at some point in the future we split from the UK and get on with making a proper @rse of it ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    “Broken Britain. How Scottish nationalism and Brexit pulled a nation to pieces” from i’day’s Sunday Herald. A pretty good analysis, and even in my dotage, it may be that I’ve been less aware about the influence of empire than I should have been. Perhaps we’re not as clever and classless* and free as we may have believed. A good read, interesting insights, and don’t point those blaady spears at me if you don’t agree. I didn’t write the fûcking thing, although I wish I’d had the insight so to do.

*some of the bottom-feeders on here may fall into that category, of course, having no class whatsoever

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/broken-bri...irAMiIDAWdNKq4
    Very good piece.

I know there are good ones, on all sides. The problem is good ones don't usually seek higher office. Career politicians too make my teeth itch.

I'm afraid I don't know any of the answers though. I tick the box for SNP in the hope that at some point in the future we split from the UK and get on with making a proper @rse of it ourselves.
    That's exactly where I'm at.
    My logic is social, political and economic reform is more achievable in a self determining nation of five million than it is in a cobbled together union that still sees itself as a player on the world stage.

Would anyone seriously argue that the current default Westminster socio-economic and socio-political model is in any way worthy?

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    That's exactly where I'm at.
    My logic is social, political and economic reform is more achievable in a self determining nation of five million than it is in a cobbled together union that still sees itself as a player on the world stage.

Would anyone seriously argue that the current default Westminster socio-economic and socio-political model is in any way worthy?
    As soon as Edinburgh, Wales and Belfast got their parliament/assemblies the writing was on the wall for the union.

Maybe if they give England it's own parliament back in 99 and somehow changed the structure of the UK parliament to account for the voting differences in the individual nations, then possibly the union could have been salvaged in some way.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about Scotland being independent, the UK will split at some point. Only a case of when and not if.

A good possibility it could be a unified Ireland that splits it before us Scots do.

My main issue is with the identity of “we”, “us”, and “our”.

As soon as Edinburgh, Wales and Belfast got their parliament/assemblies the writing was on the wall for the union.

Maybe if they give England it's own parliament back in 99 and somehow changed the structure of the UK parliament to account for the voting differences in the individual nations, then possibly the union could have been salvaged in some way.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about Scotland being independent, the UK will split at some point. Only a case of when and not if.

A good possibility it could be a unified Ireland that splits it before us Scots do.
    I’m certain that there are significant parts of England that would question the identity of “we”, “us”,and “our” too.

Page 285 of 339 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286287295335 ... LastLast