+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Player ratings v Yeovil

It's difficult not to agree with most of the ratings above in view of the result, but again I think Fitzsimons is being rated more on certain people's pre-conceptions about him being a second string goalkeeper, rather than how he actually performed. If you're being really harsh you could mark him down for one of the close range finishes going through his legs, but in truth the goals were not his fault and he actually made several decent saves to keep the score from getting even worse.

I think you would struggle to find many goalkeepers at League One or League Two level who would look fully confident playing behind the flimsy shambles that is our midfield and defence at the moment. Time will tell if Fitzsimons "cuts it" in the long-term, but right now I can think of at least five positions in the team where there are more urgent concerns than the position of goalkeeper.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Excellent post, and yet again proves why the "match ratings" thread is, IMO, one of the best threads on here post-match.

Before I had the International iFollow season ticket, it was the only thread that actually explained what was actually going on, on the pitch.....but from a cross-section of fans who watched the game.

Even now, having watched the game myself, I might disagree with one or two of the actual ratings scores BUT the comments give me cause for thought....and the more quality posters (and there are several on here again, well done all) gives even more room for thought.

Let's look at one classic example...Enzio....both Rowey and Navy don't particularly rate the guy, several others, including me, do rate him.....BUT, the more comments I read about the midfield being over-run and exposing a poor defence...the more I'm wondering whether we need to sit Enzio on the bench on Tuesday and play a more defensively-minded winger like Aless or Hawk?.......neither are as good going forward, but both are better defenders if given express instructions to help out a shaky defence.

Quite simply, there is no point in trying to score 2 or 3 goals at one end, if we are going to let in 3 or 4 at the other end....quality thread, long may it continue.
    Yep, I agree to a point in that I think Hawkridge coming in is one option - a winger who will track back all day and protect his full-back is one of the things we’ve been missing and may prove useful in two tricky away ties. It might not win him much acclaim but it’s the messy, off the ball stuff we’ve been missing so far compared to last season. I think Arquin worked back more than Boldewijn and Thomas on Friday night!

However, I think Boldewijn’s our one genuinely special player who can produce something out of nothing - the opener vs Cambridge for example - so would always fit him in somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    It's difficult not to agree with most of the ratings above in view of the result, but again I think Fitzsimons is being rated more on certain people's pre-conceptions about him being a second string goalkeeper, rather than how he actually performed. If you're being really harsh you could mark him down for one of the close range finishes going through his legs, but in truth the goals were not his fault and he actually made several decent saves to keep the score from getting even worse.

I think you would struggle to find many goalkeepers at League One or League Two level who would look fully confident playing behind the flimsy shambles that is our midfield and defence at the moment. Time will tell if Fitzsimons "cuts it" in the long-term, but right now I can think of at least five positions in the team where there are more urgent concerns than the position of goalkeeper.
    That could easily be flipped round though to the defenders are making some of the bad decisions they are because they don't have any confidence in the goalkeeper?

I'm not saying all of the goals are his fault but his distribution has been woeful, both home games so far this season he has kicked it out in a rush straight to the opposition, in the first half they had a shot that nearly went straight through his hands.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234