+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damien Johnson's u23s.

Damien Johnson's u23s.

Thrashed by Leicester now.. Think I got carried away as to their abilities.. Bang back down to earth!

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo1man41 View Post
    Thrashed by Leicester now.. Think I got carried away as to their abilities.. Bang back down to earth!
    It's clearly quite a step up. On top of that, there are some injury issues. I can't find the starting line-up, but I also suspect it will have included several Academy players because of Tuesday night's cup-game.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    It's clearly quite a step up. On top of that, there are some injury issues. I can't find the starting line-up, but I also suspect it will have included several Academy players because of Tuesday night's cup-game.
    A strong 11 as far as I can see.

Not looking good for the current crop
    Still early days but thumping results like this can set back progression.

If we keep producing players for the first team, and we appear to be as good as anyone at doing that, then it is a success.

Its all about the first team. Cruciually we had 4 players from our very own academy in that win over Brentford.

Which is crazy. As I heard ALOT about how good Brentford would be, and how we would struggle. And I know for a fact we where missing 2 of our best players.

But I do see a post about our Under 23's not being good enough, and no mention that around half our first team was home grown.

I get all the fear based on 5/6 years ago but when do we get balance?

We are talking about this year's crop making the step up to premier league 1
    Travis,nuttall,lenihan and such like have been promoted to the first team which is fantastic but the current crop don't look anywhere near ready to step up at any level.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    We are talking about this year's crop making the step up to premier league 1
    Travis,nuttall,lenihan and such like have been promoted to the first team which is fantastic but the current crop don't look anywhere near ready to step up at any level.

But we wont know that, as they are not yet ready?
    Who knows, we may get another 4-5 players coming through. We have some very highly rated lads coming through, who will all massively benefit from playing the Premier League clubs under 23's.
    These Prem club's spend millions on players for these Academy teams, not ofr the first team, for THIS Under23 league. Bournemouth bought Mahoney from us just for this league. Not for the first team.
    WE are up against giants and it will only be beneficial.

Not if we get many rough results like last night it won't
    Confidence plays a huge part in football.

If Butterworth is going to make it. He will make it. Regardless of which league the under 23's play in. If he's good enough he's good enough. If he's not, he won't make it.
    Playing lads of a higher quality won't hurt anyone.

That is true but errors will occur more and more with every heavy defeat
    Had pretty high hopes for this crop of lads but so far it seems to be a up hill struggle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)