+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Likely Contenders?

Likely Contenders?

Early days yet, but Leeds and Middlesbrough have been undeniably impressive.
    I also think that Forest have a very good chance of the playoffs. They have only won one, but actually haven't lost. A good performance against Newcastle last night, although these cup-games can be deceptive.
    I wouldn't be surprised if those three develop into the ones to beat.
    As always, a lot depends on how you survive the inevitable "bad run", and how quickly you recover from it.
    Any other thoughts about the top six? Swansea? Derby? Villa?
    I wouldn't discount WBA either.
    It already looks as if it is going to very difficult to beat ANYBODY! Our main priority now is to start converting more chances. Probably the same for Forest.

If contenders include those that may just miss out.. Then Rovers!

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo1man41 View Post
    I think it always does mean that, Saxo. This is why I don't discount luck. Just look at our relegation. On the last day, I think we were safe at half-time! And, of course, it's very rare to be relegated with that number of points, anyway!

As I said, the "bad run" can be the killer. Every team has one, and it's often a question of how quickly you can pull out of it.
    What worries me is what Champs talks about: our supporters' tendency to turn against the manager very quickly. Perhaps it's the same for every club, but I often feel we're worst than most. (Could just be that it seems that way because of focusing mainly on the team you support).

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    I think it always does mean that, Saxo. This is why I don't discount luck. Just look at our relegation. On the last day, I think we were safe at half-time! And, of course, it's very rare to be relegated with that number of points, anyway!

As I said, the "bad run" can be the killer. Every team has one, and it's often a question of how quickly you can pull out of it.
    What worries me is what Champs talks about: our supporters' tendency to turn against the manager very quickly. Perhaps it's the same for every club, but I often feel we're worst than most. (Could just be that it seems that way because of focusing mainly on the team you support).
    I've been chatting to Newcastle fans tonight and some have turned against Rafa! Crazy.

That's what I think. We will have a good go at it, but ultimately miss out on the play offs this season. But we may not be too far off?

I've been chatting to Newcastle fans tonight and some have turned against Rafa! Crazy.
    I agree. He's another 100%er. The thing is about Newcastle fans, they are desperate for success. And - to be fair - it is a bit bizarre that they have never found quite the right combination.
    I lived there for five or six years, and I know how much they want a team that can represent the North-East at the highest levels. When KK blew it, after things looked so good, a few of my Geordie friends practically needed therapy!

Incidentally, I'm quite surprised to see Ipswich at the bottom. It's a blow for my son too. He grew up there and still follows them - despite having lived in NZ for 20 years.
    I think they will recover. We know how shrewd Hurst is. If he fails, though, he will be another example of "hero-to-zero".

I'm not too sure. They could struggle. They have sold the better players, and brought in quite a few lower league players. Some will work out, but they could have a tough season. They just don't spend money. Certain managers like McCarthy like him or loathe him, can handle that for a while. Hurst I'm unsure about.

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    I'm not too sure. They could struggle. They have sold the better players, and brought in quite a few lower league players. Some will work out, but they could have a tough season. They just don't spend money. Certain managers like McCarthy like him or loathe him, can handle that for a while. Hurst I'm unsure about.
    I've always quite liked McCarthy. A very mixed record, I know, but you're right about his ability to help teams dig in. Let's be honest, though: that's rarely enough for supporters.
    The basic problem with "success" in football that it tends to get measured in terms of winning things...but promotion-spots are very few in number. Did Hurst "fail" last season? I wouldn't say so, but I bet there are Shrewsbury fans who do.
    After all, quite a few Rovers supporters complained about TM because we "only" finished second!

The thing I will look at is,at least one of the BIG spenders will miss out,I wonder if any action will be taken against them like they were very quick to take when we stepped out of line financially?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)