+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Well done England's women.

OT: Well done England's women.

Nice to see Phil Neville proving the doubters wrong.

An England team qualify for a World Cup and not worth a mention? No RIP for Aretha? Pretty obvious what's going on at MM. Very sad.

There are a few stories that weren't mentioned on here that I thought worthy Monte.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    An England team qualify for a World Cup and not worth a mention? No RIP for Aretha? Pretty obvious what's going on at MM. Very sad.
    Regarding Aretha, will this do?

https://scontent-dfw5-1.cdninstagram...38239744_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by nakedtruth View Post
    Made me chuckle

As for the women's team I can't even find anything about it on the main BBC football page so MMadsters are not the only ones underwhelmed.

I did consider putting up an RIP Aretha thread but wasn't sure about her popularity in the UK. Must admit I don't think I'd even heard of her 'till we moved over here (although I had heard her music).
    Last edited by CAMiller; 02-09-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Cam, I'm surprised at that. It was the main sports story in the Times, Telegraph and Guardian and both Sky and the BBC here did quite extensive coverage. Take your point about Aretha and imo the reaction to her passing was a bit OTT. I'm more concerned that the revamp of Thomas the Tank Engine seems to have escaped the notice of Madsters! I daren't put a thread up on it because I will be accused of racism.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    There are a few stories that weren't mentioned on here that I thought worthy Monte.
    I agree, frog. There were a few good things but for various reasons I didn't want to start a thread on a couple of them.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Cam, I'm surprised at that. It was the main sports story in the Times, Telegraph and Guardian and both Sky and the BBC here did quite extensive coverage. Take your point about Aretha and imo the reaction to her passing was a bit OTT. I'm more concerned that the revamp of Thomas the Tank Engine seems to have escaped the notice of Madsters! I daren't put a thread up on it because I will be accused of racism.
    The times they are a changing Monty. In the case of Thomas it actually looks more like expanding marketing opportunities than political correctness, otherwise The Fat Controller would bite the dust or only be referred to as Sir Topham Hat as he is here.

Where I work our new Director of Diversity and Inclusion has introduced five focus groups for Women, Blacks, Latinos, Asian American/Pacific Islanders and Queers. Not sure where that includes me

(and before anyone presses the complain button, I work with a number of LGBTQ people who often use the term 'queer' to describe themselves)

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    The times they are a changing Monty. In the case of Thomas it actually looks more like expanding marketing opportunities than political correctness, otherwise The Fat Controller would bite the dust or only be referred to as Sir Topham Hat as he is here.

Where I work our new Director of Diversity and Inclusion has introduced five focus groups for Women, Blacks, Latinos, Asian American/Pacific Islanders and Queers. Not sure where that includes me

(and before anyone presses the complain button, I work with a number of LGBTQ people who often use the term 'queer' to describe themselves)
    Have to agree with you, Cam, that the motivation seems to be about marketing to a global audience. However, I was itching to post a pic of the new controller, Charubala.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post

Some interesting views there CAMiller.

I saw an article in the Independant about Tunde Ogungbesan who is Director of Diversity and inclusion at the BBC, a job that pays him in the region of £170k pa.

He wants more LGBTQ (as you call them) people working at the BBC. Which is interesting because according to the BBCs own figures approx 11% of their staff claim to be in that group of people. This compares to 2 to 3% in the UK population as a whole. So the guy seems to be earning his inflated salary, but it begs the question, are people being hired by the BBC because they are LGBT and not just hired judged on whether they have the necessary skills and experience for the job in question?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast