+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Honey Badgers into Grand Final

Honey Badgers into Grand Final

What a season for the Honey Badgers, last season we finished 3rd last, this season we double the size of our squad and have two teams; div 4 Honey Badgers and div 5 Nebula.

As I have mentioned briefly in other threads, I found myself in goals this season, mainly due to my safe hands (AFL back ground),agility and decent kick. I received a massive contact injury 5 or 6 weeks ago, placing me on the side lines for 4 weeks and only becoming fit to play the first semi final (1 vs 2 winner gets a week off.)

I trained well during that week, and the manager and I agreed that maybe a 20min stint to see how the leg pulled up. Aaron the keeper who came up from the 2's (well div 5 team) did an awesome job in the 3 games I was warming the stands. But when the whistle came to start the first semi, Badgers vs the undefeated North Lakes team (mind you they hadn't beaten us this season, 1 draw, and 1 agreeable NR) Aaron was caught in Friday traffic and hadn't got his gear on; so I had a 5-10min stint and that would be it. Aaron kept very well, despite a brain explosion at 25mins that saw him get a yellow, he had a couple of amazing saves to keep us at 1-1 and the manager didn't know what to do in regards to me, I insisted Aaron stayed out there whilst his confidence was high, so he did. Full time 1-1, then a penalty shoot out, we ended up going down 3-2 in penalties...

Come next week, I mentioned to the manager that he should leave Aaron in goal, and maybe use me with my pace as a pinch hitter in the midfield to cause havoc with much slower opponents, so Monday training came and Yubby's body was pushed to prove he has the ability; only to strain his right hammy and left groin. The manager recieved a message from me telling him, if you have a fit 20th player to come into the squad, sub me out, he didn't so i became back up keeper and 19th squad member in the knock out semi against Samford (in which a former Fijian midfielder who had 50 plus caps for his country, and even played against David Beckam when his Red Bull team played Central Coast Mariners some years ago) Aaron started the game and when an altercation was had in the box about 10mins into the game, Aaron had an even bigger explosion than previous week resulting in a red card, and the badgers down to 10 men and sub keeper Yubby thrown into the game.

0-0 at half time, Badgers despite 10 men playing inspirational football. We went 1-0 up when an opportunistic goal fell our zippy little midfielders way, only to have Yubby pull out of a dive 10mins later to only have his poor judgement have the ball hit the post, and rebound directly into a trailing midfielder. WHY THE STUFF DIDN'T I JUST PUSH IT WIDE!!!!!! So full time whistle goes with scores locked at 1-1 and we are back at an all to familiar penalty shoot out with novice keeper Yubby(never played in penalties, did save one preseason) to push the balls wide!

The shoot out was in such good spirit by both teams, I kept the first 2 out, which kept us 1 in front right up till our manager a 5th kicker missed and they had their last kick, and legend would have it Badgers through to the grand final.

Good read Yubbs - I winced at your injuries and cheered at your penalty saves and I could just imagine you being cross with yourself for not pushing the ball out side

Good luck Honey Badgers on the Grand Final!!

Ps. I know I always say it, but no heroics! I don't want my big bro in A&E again!

Sis x

4-1 Loss, and unfortunately game was ruined by poor refereeing, North Lakes where on top for a reason, and there attack as it was in our Semi Final against them was non stop, and they dominated position in their attacking half, unfortunately we put the first goal into the wrong net, keeper had no chance, next goal came off, well deflected off the outside of the boot, keeper unsighted 2 -0 half time.

We had our chances, but couldn't capitalize. Both teams by about 10mins into the second half had had enough of the refereeing standard, 7 yellows cards for ridiculous reasons, 2 turned to red, 2 spot kicks got them to 4, we did score one after their 3rd goal.

Not that it would've made a difference, but my injured rib from last week flared up literally my first of the game, and only got worse. I didn't want to sub, out so pushed through, and I an paying for still 3 days later, I reckon I have dislocated it, will get to a physio when I can.

You did well getting to the final, bro and you fought to the end. Very proud little sis.

Now, bossy little sis says get yourself to that physio!! My nagging will hurt your ears more than your ribs ever will.

I'm sure Oz told me months ago stick to golf, so that will be the plan moving forward....

In saying that the Masters are coming up in October and my old touch footy side where going to have a crack and asked if I wanted to play......

Yubby nooooo! You have hurt your ribs and October is in just over 2 weeks!

I don't call Oz Mr Smartypants for nothing so listen to his suggestion. I think I suggested finger knitting but you didn't seem too keen on that. Giggles.

Get well soon bro. You will get well sooner if you go to see the physio! Oooh I can be so bossy when I try!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)