+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Cover versions

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    My fave Movie clip from one of the best Movies ever made in my opinion. Although I am not a big Elvis Movie fan this is the exception.

Yes, probably the best Elvis movie by a long way. Kris Krisstopherson is one of the few singers who could also act. Dylan was terrible in Pat Garret and Billy the Kid. Willie Nelson a bit better as an actor but not great.

Cliff does a great job on this classic Neil Diamond song.

Just listened to Annie Lennox singing " No More I Love Yous' " Being the anorak I am and under the influence of this post I had another listen to the original " New Wave" era by " The Lover Speaks" Normally I would go with the big production version ( Lennox) but the original does capture the feel of the New Wave era

I take no exception to anyone on here trashing my music tastes and expect any mention of Zappa, Beefheart and Dylan.to meet with derision or indifference. I would take exception to SugarTiler's naming of Trout Mask Replica as his fave album of all time. Maybe he'll see this and put on his gloves and come out fighting in Trout's defence.

The fault is really with me and my complete ignorance of how to put up a referral either by name or video.

This gives me the chance to sling in a few random comments including Dylan's slow mournful rendition of Jerry Jeff Walker's Mr Bojangles. The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band kill it at birth but Dylan for me gives it new life and more. I hate these non talented, here today gone tomorrow band killing classics in their desperate need to forge a career (especially in the Top 20) by the ruination of that has gone before. A good example of this is the woeful rendition by (I've just forgotten their wretched names) of the Neil Young classic Only Love Can Break Your Hurt. Bad, bad girls!

St Etienne the little vixens were called and speaking of Hurt (which we weren't) Johnny Cash's version of Hurt is chokingly good and betters by some way the original by the 9 inch nails. And so to bed, fractured leg and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilzal View Post
    This gives me the chance to sling in a few random comments including Dylan's slow mournful rendition of Jerry Jeff Walker's Mr Bojangles. The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band kill it at birth but Dylan for me gives it new life and more. I hate these non talented, here today gone tomorrow band killing classics in their desperate need to forge a career (especially in the Top 20) by the ruination of that has gone before. A good example of this is the woeful rendition by (I've just forgotten their wretched names) of the Neil Young classic Only Love Can Break Your Hurt. Bad, bad girls!
    I remember being very excited by some Nitty Gritty Dirt Band stuff way back but can't for the life of me remember what it was. As you say JC's version of Hurt takes poignancy to a new level. Hearing it made me determined to be a better man and husband and stop wasting my life but that didn't work sadly.

Proper music and proof you can sing and chew gum at the same time. Of course the Everly's version is also brill.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzBF5UWxqd0

I was reminded of this excellent thread when I heard the original version of 'God gave rock and roll to you. Russ Ballard's Argent take is a' proggy', typically early 70's effort.
    Kiss turned it into a stadium anthem, leaving out much of the detail. Of course, at the time I thought it was an original, and a brilliant piece of writing by the American super stars.

Quote Originally Posted by jocksgloves View Post
    I was reminded of this excellent thread when I heard the original version of 'God gave rock and roll to you. Russ Ballard's Argent take is a' proggy', typically early 70's effort.
    Kiss turned it into a stadium anthem, leaving out much of the detail. Of course, at the time I thought it was an original, and a brilliant piece of writing by the American super stars.
    Saw Argent play the original version at Sheffield City Hall, 1973-ish. They were a good live band.

Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast