+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Entitled to

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    Shedboy71 will be jealous now.
    Are you thinking what I'm thinking - Shedboy 71 is posting under a new username!

no i am Noel

Quote Originally Posted by shedruleyabasx View Post
    no i am Noel
    Welcome back Noel, if teacher spots you at the back of the class you'll get the belt (Offshore that is)

lol - not noel or sb

We are entitled to diddley squat in this league unless we go out and dominate games. Getting tired of the number of times we've assumed we can just turn up to win only to be steamrollered by some so called diddy team.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    It's a tough one. We should never expect to be beating teams around us simply because we are Dundee United but because we are Dundee United we should be able to provide the resources and the power to do exactly that in this league.
    The problem as we all know has been bad management and until that has been turned around we remain where we are. Let's see if Mike Martin and the Board can change things up. Still early days but we have to get a good manager this time.
    We'll put.

Sadly there is a mismatch between out historical stature and the current standard of players we can afford to sign and cling on to. The gap between ourselves and teams like Ayr is not what it was a few years ago so we can't bulldoze over these teams with superior quality. Championship (and league one) teams have enjoyed a psychological boost against us by being the underdog. Our players face psychological pressure in that we are disgusted when we get beat by the likes of queen of the south. Maybe we as fans can play a role by getting right behind the team, treating these all important league games against the likes of Alloa and Ayr United like cup finals. It does help when were winning though, so hopefully a decent appointment will provide the cataylist for this to take place.

I get your point but historical stature? It's recent stature

We are talking less than 4 years since we were a top 2-3 team in the top league at the end of January and in a major final and 8 consecutive top 6 finishes (5th 5th 3rd 4th 4th 6th 4th 5th), and 2 and a half years since we were in the top flight itself

That doesn't mean we don't have to earn anything, however we are in danger of over thinking things here

We hire a decent manager and everything else will fall into place in the next 2-3 years, it's the most important role at the club

I think an amount of expectation is good. I think teams who dominate leagues have an amount of expectation going in to every game. Look at Celtic over the last few years (minus the last few weeks). They go in to every game expecting to win and it rarely falters. The reason? They have a desire that matches or even outweighs the expectation.

I think even St Mirren had an element of that last season.

We showed beyond any doubt in our recent League Cup "campaign" that without desire, you will not beat teams like Alloa or Arbroath at home, when I think the majority of us EXPECTED a win.

The desire has to be greater than the expectation.

Ray rambled on about us (the supporters) expecting to win every game 6-0. I thought that was rubbish and insulting. I don't expect to beat anyone 6-0 but I do expect us to be competitive in EVERY SINGLE GAME. I certainly expect us to be good enough to not lose 3-0 to ANYONE in this league. Throw in results like the 6-1 doing at Falkirk and last weeks shambles against Ross County and you see that something is very wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    If you look at Hearts and Hibs you can see that it's precisely about management. Sound boards making good decisions and appointing the right managers (exc the Cathro experiment obv) You could add Celtic and Sevco (Gerrard) into that although it muddied the waters slightly.

It's no coincidence that our best years were delivered by excellent Board of Directors making the right managerial appointments. So yes, it IS about management. Other things have to click too though.
    Even the greats can get it wrong Stokie.
    Hibs sitting 6th in the league head hunt Butcher & Malpas.
    A few short months later...KABOOOOM! Championship stuff.

Havent posted here for a while....

Entitlement is going to follow great clubs, it doesn't win you points but its hard for the fans that have known great riches of the past

To quote a James song if you hadnt seen such riches you can live with being poor.

You only need to look at where Leeds United were in the 90's and the team they had. You look at Leicster and what they acheived and probably will never acheive again, but thats got to give us all hope.

Thing is your kids grow up seeing the poor performances of the team and it turns them off and they then want to buy Barcelona strips and or follow wee scroats like Neymar. Not so long ago GMS was my boys favourite player, now he prefers the wee Brazilian twonk. We loose them dragging them along to the club where their hero's get sold, I know thats the food chain, but its laughable to hear a professional player complaining about the hero's of the past intimidating, that should inspire you.

However we 100% need to see 100% on the pitch, Livingstone fight tooth and nail together, thats partly team chemistry partly manager and partly the Captain. Livvy are not shy of streetwise foul, are we?

The final thing is yes we may never compete in the latter stages of Europe in my lifetime, but is it too much to ask for more days of players like Robertson, Guald, GMS, Ciftci, Armstrong and being entertained again in the SPL and the odd cup final?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)