+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheerio Kewellio - Sheep Shearers Special

Tonight's "performance" was garbage. I can't believe we actually got a point.

I agree with Tarkers, the only players to emerge with any genuine credit were Fitzsimons and Turley. Our goalkeeper, much maligned earlier in the season, mostly unfairly, has shown in recent games that he is the least of our problems. Tonight his shot-stopping ability kept us in the game and he collected crosses cleanly and decisively throughout the game. Turley meanwhile showed our many orthodox full-backs how to defend from that position, in marked contrast to Evina on the other side who barely stopped a cross all game. The problem is, unless Brisley can rediscover his form and slot in alongside Ward, we really need Turley's presence at centre-half.

Tactically, it was a shambles. I didn't see last Saturday's game, but if Kristian Dennis got the same pathetic level of support and service from our midfielders and wide players as he did tonight, it's little wonder he was "invisible". I've seen Notts play the one up front system badly many times, most notably at home under Curle, but I can't ever remember seeing a striker look as isolated as Dennis was tonight. He didn't have a chance in any sense of the word. The formation relies on the team moving forward as a complete unit, but the likes of Alessandra and Hewitt or Milsom rarely if ever gambled on getting forward to support him, which in turn made the striker ever more anxious with the tiny number of touches he got. Boldewijn took over and nearly created an individual goal out of nothing, plus the shot against the post from Hewitt's throw, but that was the only way we were ever going to score: a fluke or a moment of individual brilliance. Aside from that we created nothing. In fact, by the middle of the second half it seemed the management had just given up and packed the team with defenders, praying to hang on to a 0-0. Fortunately, Oldham's finishing with woeful, otherwise we would have lost 2 or 3-0.

The only positive I could take from tonight is that there could be potential to play a 3-5-2 with Boldewijn and Dennis working together up front. Kristian is a poacher who needs a partner, and Enzio with his pace and skill and reasonable height could just be the one to occupy defenders and create the space and chances.
    Last edited by jackal2; 06-11-2018 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    I agree Tarq, we were dreadfull and could easilly have been hammered 4 or 5 nil. Kewell is turning out to be a worse manager than Nolan, and that that takes some beating.. Once again we had a bench full of defenders...Shocking. He has to go... Crap

This: We should have easily lost that game 3 or 4 nil, most awful Notts game I've seen in a while. Kewellio doesn't have a clue what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Spot on Tarks, just dreadful. I admit to being quite positive about HK after his appointment and the early signs were that he was starting to turn things around, unfortunately for him tonight’s performance was just unforgivable. No shape, no cohesion, just awful.

Positives - Fitz back to the keeper we all thought he was last season. Turley getting better every game, not just the physical side of his game either, he played some very clever and intelligent balls tonight and nearly executed the cross of the match.

Other mentions, as per Tarkers post, Enzio finally turned up after the substitution and Aless did what he could but just found himself running in circles.

One last thing, imagine if we had played that Oldham team when we should have instead of that stupid international break, no injuries, 3 wins on the bounce and confidence sky high, I reckon we’d have won comfortably, quite how we have got to where we are now is simply unfathomable.
    I genuinely think Kewell has lost the plot.....he seems to think that 0-0 is a good result against a mid-table team at home....AND HE'S THE ONE THAT PLAYED FOR IT.....with the way that he set up AND with the subs, I'm just glad that the crowd told him what they thought with the booing......disgraceful management

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    I genuinely think Kewell has lost the plot.....he seems to think that 0-0 is a good result against a mid-table team at home....AND HE'S THE ONE THAT PLAYED FOR IT.....with the way that he set up AND with the subs, I'm just glad that the crowd told him what they thought with the booing......disgraceful management
    Draws will see us relegated.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Tonight's "performance" was garbage. I can't believe we actually got a point.

I agree with Tarkers, the only players to emerge with any genuine credit were Fitzsimons and Turley. Our goalkeeper, much maligned earlier in the season, mostly unfairly, has shown in recent games that he is the least of our problems. Tonight his shot-stopping ability kept us in the game and he collected crosses cleanly and decisively throughout the game. Turley meanwhile showed our many orthodox full-backs how to defend from that position, in marked contrast to Evina on the other side who barely stopped a cross all game. The problem is, unless Brisley can rediscover his form and slot in alongside Ward, we really need Turley's presence at centre-half.

Tactically, it was a shambles. I didn't see last Saturday's game, but if Kristian Dennis got the same pathetic level of support and service from our midfielders and wide players as he did tonight, it's little wonder he was "invisible". I've seen Notts play the one up front system badly many times, most notably at home under Curle, but I can't ever remember seeing a striker look as isolated as Dennis was tonight. He didn't have a chance in any sense of the word. The formation relies on the team moving forward as a complete unit, but the likes of Alessandra and Hewitt or Milsom rarely if ever gambled on getting forward to support him, which in turn made the striker ever more anxious with the tiny number of touches he got. Boldewijn took over and nearly created an individual goal out of nothing, plus the shot against the post from Hewitt's throw, but that was the only way we were ever going to score: a fluke or a moment of individual brilliance. Aside from that we created nothing. In fact, by the middle of the second half it seemed the management had just given up and packed the team with defenders, praying to hang on to a 0-0. Fortunately, Oldham's finishing with woeful, otherwise we would have lost 2 or 3-0.

The only positive I could take from tonight is that there could be potential to play a 3-5-2 with Boldewijn and Dennis working together up front. Kristian is a poacher who needs a partner, and Enzio with his pace and skill and reasonable height could just be the one to occupy defenders and create the space and chances.
    I just hope we get to 50 points (if possible) then I can forget about this season......a huge, massive anticlimax for me....2 "star" strikers and a flying winger....and we're holding out for a 0-0 draw! at home.....I honestly don't know how it came to this....if Chelters win their game in hand, we are back in the relegation positions.......Great Escape 3.5 anyone?.......hahahaha

Delighted with a point simply because we deserved to get stuffed. I have no idea what the plan is for how we approach the game. We change formation style and players every game so no wonder we haven't got a clue. The bench is almost pointless as no one on it will help the team in any way to change how we play. This is the worst we have ever been under Hardy. Once again we have an owner who thinks he can unearth a managerial gem rather than playing safe. We sign up a manager then the director of football, surely that should have been the other way round?

Quote Originally Posted by matt5cott View Post
    To be fair to Dennis, his invisible performance was entirely commensurate with his invisible service.
    Absolutely. You could have put a prime Lee Hughes up front tonight and he wouldn't have had a sniff either. Dennis is a proven finisher, but you can't score without service and support.

Quote Originally Posted by roweyp View Post
    Delighted with a point simply because we deserved to get stuffed. I have no idea what the plan is for how we approach the game. We change formation style and players every game so no wonder we haven't got a clue. The bench is almost pointless as no one on it will help the team in any way to change how we play. This is the worst we have ever been under Hardy. Once again we have an owner who thinks he can unearth a managerial gem rather than playing safe. We sign up a manager then the director of football, surely that should have been the other way round?
    Good point...I'm sick of all this 4-2-3-1, then 4-3-2-1, then tonight 4-1-4-1.......just pick a formation, clown, and stick to it....try 4-4-2, at least everyone knows that system ie the players....than all he has to do is rotate players in and out if they're not fit or playing badly

That game tonight was reminiscent of the dark days after the Pavis era and during the Trust years. A belated Halloween Horror.

The only players to come out of that game with any credit were Fitzsimons who made some point blank instinctive saves and Jamie Turley who once again put himself on the line. Enzio did well at times.

As for the rest it was apathetic and lack lustre. We are a shadow of the team we were last season. Our midfield was non existent and the service to Dennis was nothing but scraps of scraps. Albeit he was invisible.

We had nothing and offered nothing at home against a side who had lost the previous four out of five. Then on the hour we go to five at the back in what I can only see as an attempt to hold onto a clean sheet or draw. Is that our desperate we have become to avoid defeat and get a point.

I’m sorry, but that game was like a friendly, no passion, no hunger and no desire with a dull atmosphere, and felt all to Jamie Fullerton esq with HK stood on the side lines arms folded.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Try 4-4-2, at least everyone knows that system ie the players....then all he has to do is rotate players in and out if they're not fit or playing badly
    I agree about the formation bingo leaving the players completely confused. By the middle of the second half we'd moved Ward into midfield, only to move him back again to try Brisley instead.

The problem is, I don't think any combination of midfielders from our current squad is strong enough to operate with only two in midfield. Nolan started the season playing 4-4-2 in his normal way, but we were getting buried because the likes of Vaughan and Husin were too lightweight and/or lacking legs. Hewitt showed he could do the job with Yates last season, and Milsom is the next best alternative to Yates (which Nolan didn't even have until Milsom returned with Kewell), but there's still not quite enough 'oomph' in there to compete, especially if opponents play three central midfielders against us. You've got to be able to win the ball first, before the likes of Thomas and Boldewijn can create or Dennis, Hemmings or Stead can score. Dennis looked lost on his own, but the only way I can see us getting 2 strikers on the pitch with the current personnel available is to go 3-5-2 or 5-3-2.
    Last edited by jackal2; 06-11-2018 at 11:32 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast