+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 299 of 349 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299300301309 ... LastLast
Results 2,981 to 2,990 of 3487

Thread: O/T DDay for Brexit..well sort of...

I think what raging meant is that the EU have said that many elements of the May deal would be red lines for them in the negotiation of a future trade deal. For example, they say that the £39bn is payable whether we leave on May deal terms or otherwise and that they will not accept a hard border on the island of Ireland (they don't seem to have noticed that remaining intransigent and driving this country into a no deal situation will deliver such a hard border).

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I think what raging meant is that the EU have said that many elements of the May deal would be red lines for them in the negotiation of a future trade deal. For example, they say that the £39bn is payable whether we leave on May deal terms or otherwise and that they will not accept a hard border on the island of Ireland (they don't seem to have noticed that remaining intransigent and driving this country into a no deal situation will deliver such a hard border).
    Thanks Kerr. That's pretty much it. You think the EU will crumble to the new cabinet or stay true to their word (the wa is their last word bar token reassurances)? I certainly think that if they are willing to let us walk away without a deal in October, I don't follow how they would relent to a more favourable {for us} deal afterwards?

Personally I hope he revives the WA, gets it through and we move on. Labour got some minor concessions on what they wanted and should take what's on the table. It might even work in their favour as most Brexiters hate the WA and are likely to pitch their resentment at the tories in the next general election, just through their own unwillingness to compromise. I don't think Labour could do any more and should encourage the acceptance of the negotiated deal and hope we get a go at influencing the future direction, either through government or in a hung parliament /coalition.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Thanks Kerr. That's pretty much it. You think the EU will crumble to the new cabinet or stay true to their word (the wa is their last word bar token reassurances)? I certainly think that if they are willing to let us walk away without a deal in October, I don't follow how they would relent to a more favourable {for us} deal afterwards?

Personally I hope he revives the WA, gets it through and we move on. Labour got some minor concessions on what they wanted and should take what's on the table. It might even work in their favour as most Brexiters hate the WA and are likely to pitch their resentment at the tories in the next general election, just through their own unwillingness to compromise. I don't think Labour could do any more and should encourage the acceptance of the negotiated deal and hope we get a go at influencing the future direction, either through government or in a hung parliament /coalition.
    I should be wary about trying to predict anything. It's not so long ago that I thought it impossible that BoJo could become PM.

I am not convinced that Parliament can stop a no deal short of bringing down the government. That, I think, is unlikely, unless there are defections from the Tories to the Lib Dems (Dominic Grieve might do it). If there were a General Election, anything could happen, but I can't see any party achieving an overall majority, in which case a Tory - Brexit Party alliance might follow.

Any concessions that Labour obtained from negotiations with May will not have survived the end of the talks and the change of PM.

I don't think that you can rule out concessions from the EU (such as time limiting the backstop) now that they are facing a negotiating team that appear to be willing to contemplate no deal. I appreciate that Johnson ruled out accepting any backstop, but he is a person who appears to have very 'fluid' views.

A little bit of realpolitick needs to come into play.

It's now up to the EU,do they really want a no deal or are they going to realise that some of their countries are massively worried and need to scrap the backstop.Irish business would suffer the worst of all.Time for the Irish prime minister to stick up for his country and not the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerBill View Post
    It's now up to the EU,do they really want a no deal or are they going to realise that some of their countries are massively worried and need to scrap the backstop.Irish business would suffer the worst of all.Time for the Irish prime minister to stick up for his country and not the EU.
    You are asking the EU to accept an open border to the Single Market. That is unrealistic, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    You are asking the EU to accept an open border to the Single Market. That is unrealistic, I think.
    Digital technology will overcome that problem.A way will be found because the new team in charge will ensure it is found, unlike Mrs.May's team who showed no enthusiasm at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerBill View Post
    Digital technology will overcome that problem.A way will be found because the new team in charge will ensure it is found, unlike Mrs.May's team who showed no enthusiasm at all.
    I think a technological solution may eventually be developed, but it's not going to happen in 99 days and it's adoption is not down to just the 'new team'; the EU has a say too.

Weird that this intractable NI problem wasn't mentioned during the referendum campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Weird that this intractable NI problem wasn't mentioned during the referendum campaign.
    Shows you then what a stupid idea it was in the first place to frame the referendum question as they did! this is the whole point about the referendum though int it? Nobody actually thought about the consequences if there was a vote to come out. It was just a knee jerk "kick out Johnny foreigner" campaign and we will be fine.

What is worse is that I still don't believe anybody has seriously thought about the consequences of coming out in spite of all the rhetoric. ...We'll be ok... Bodge up feckin Britain. Its what we are good at.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Shows you then what a stupid idea it was in the first place to frame the referendum question as they did! this is the whole point about the referendum though int it? Nobody actually thought about the consequences if there was a vote to come out. It was just a knee jerk "kick out Johnny foreigner" campaign and we will be fine.

What is worse is that I still don't believe anybody has seriously thought about the consequences of coming out in spite of all the rhetoric. ...We'll be ok... Bodge up feckin Britain. Its what we are good at.
    I think you're right roly
    Cameron, Osborne, May etc etc etc etc will all come out of this feck up unscathed, nay even personally better off,that's what we're good at

Page 299 of 349 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299300301309 ... LastLast