+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 67 of 71 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: F*ckin Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Shetland Don View Post
    It’s mainly white fish fishermen that were pro-Brexit, I believe. Salmon are fine, as they are farmed and full of Omega 3, I believe too, but I’m no expert.
    Farming salmon is an aberration.
    Fine for lice and killing off the human race with the overuse of antibiotics, but apart from that.....

No, it's the Peterheid mob that is the cause of my non European status, bästards.

Quote Originally Posted by Shetland Don View Post
    The recent fish quota allocations are up significantly though and the Scottish fishermen are largely happy, even if the post-brexit bonanza alluded to didn’t wholly materialise. Additionally, whole-fish market prices are at an all-time high with the consequence that staple white fish fillet prices are comparable with quality steak, often higher, and beyond the financial reach of many (most, even) families. The overall catch restrictions combined with vessel decommissioning in recent decades keeps those prices high as does the fact that fishing licences, under the watch of successive UK Governments, have become limited and are high-value tradable commodities, despite the fact that the Government gave these away, gratis. That for many is hugely iniquitous especially considering that fish are generally considered a common resource and should arguably be accessible to all, in equal measure. The EU Common Fisheries Policy actually worked, despite industry opposition and “black” landings, and the “free-for-all” attitude that many operations had adopted would surely have decimated fish stocks without the intervention of the UK and other regulatory authorities. What’s for sure though, and history tells us this, is that the fishermen can never have enough no matter how much they catch and how high the prices go. As things stand, rest assured that Brexit has been good, VERY GOOD INDEED, for the Scottish fishing industry.
    Your view/take on this seems to be contradicted by Mike Park.

Mike Park, Chief Executive of the Scottish White Fish Producers Association, said:

“Setting politics aside, the members of SWFPA are deeply aggrieved at the very challenging situation they now face for 2021.

“Whereas we have gained modest uplifts in shares for some stocks the stark reality is that the demersal sector enter 2021 facing significant shortfalls across a range of key species, which is down to the fact that we can no longer enter into direct swaps with colleagues in Europe.

“In addition, the issue of sovereignty and our future ability to negotiate additional shares after the five and a half year window would seem clouded by so much complexity that it is difficult at this time to see how the UK government can use its newly recovered sovereignty to improve the situation of my members.”

Now this was 2021 things may have changed significantly, I doubt it tho.

Full analysis here,

https://www.gov.scot/news/brexit-dea...20and%20Saithe.

When fishermen and merchants stop driving about in BMW's/Mercedes I will happily believe they are struggling financially but until then....

Quote Originally Posted by Red Zone View Post
    When fishermen and merchants stop driving about in BMW's/Mercedes I will happily believe they are struggling financially but until then....
    They never suffer though. The Merc/BMW or whatever car of choice is always updated on a regular basis and the kids schooling fees are always covered, however much they claim the world is against them.

It's the poor ba stards who work for them that suffer. I'm glad to say I was the only one from our house to escape working in the fishing industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    I’d quite like to see Jimmy Buchans boat get torpedoed
    100% agreed.

He has a pal who runs a chipper in Aberdeen who is equally as big a repulsive cnut.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeDon View Post
    100% agreed.

He has a pal who runs a chipper in Aberdeen who is equally as big a repulsive cnut.
    Is that Salt Sea and Sole in Dyce ?

*chippy

Quote Originally Posted by stewarty27 View Post
    Your view/take on this seems to be contradicted by Mike Park.

Mike Park, Chief Executive of the Scottish White Fish Producers Association, said:

“Setting politics aside, the members of SWFPA are deeply aggrieved at the very challenging situation they now face for 2021.

“Whereas we have gained modest uplifts in shares for some stocks the stark reality is that the demersal sector enter 2021 facing significant shortfalls across a range of key species, which is down to the fact that we can no longer enter into direct swaps with colleagues in Europe.

“In addition, the issue of sovereignty and our future ability to negotiate additional shares after the five and a half year window would seem clouded by so much complexity that it is difficult at this time to see how the UK government can use its newly recovered sovereignty to improve the situation of my members.”

Now this was 2021 things may have changed significantly, I doubt it tho.

Full analysis here,

https://www.gov.scot/news/brexit-dea...20and%20Saithe.
    I have no doubt that Mr Park would make such claims and that’s indeed consistent with my penultimate sentence. Mr Park has a history of breaching the rules, prolifically I believe, as a former fisherman himself who didn’t fish within legitimate quota allowances. Things have actually changed since 2021 with significant recent quota uplifts in cod, haddock, whiting etc.

Valid points. The boat owners now “employ” slaves too, seriously, from Africa and elsewhere.

PS - DeeDon reply.
    Last edited by Shetland Don; 22-02-2023 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stewarty27 View Post
    Is that Salt Sea and Sole in Dyce ?
    Rosemount Place. Can't mind its name.

Page 67 of 71 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast