+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: V Leeds

I didn't think we were that bad in the 2nd half just that they were better. It was yet another draw but for Elmo's ballsup and that against prob the best in the division. Deano knows what's needed - goalie (obv), CB, LB (ditto) plus cover for Jack eg. little Barry Bannon. I think a defense coach might help too cos JT ain't ready for it yet.

I'm no expert but we seemed to be defending really deep. We also can't seem to retain possetion

You're right about defending deep and giving the ball away Bong, I'm surprised we didn't press them more and make it difficult for them to play their game. I said to my mate at HT that Deano wouldn't have been happy that at 2-0 we didn't assert authority and maybe Leeds should get credit for not allowing us to do so. They are a good side but we could and should have been much better with & without the ball.

Had we been 3-0 up it never would have been enough, im sure Leeds players said at half time, we can do this lot, their defence is shlt. This is the diect result of the Bruce Legacy, i see Elphick was MOTM and scored for Hull. How we could do with him now. Stupid idiotic decision to let him go. With Tuanzebe out with a broken foot we may have to recall him anyway.
    Play offs at best it is then.........😭

Have to agree Dave, those dropped points at west brom, home to forest and the capitulation against leeds has wiped out any hope of automatic promotion.
    Too many players are useless and need to be at 100% capability just to be average. Once they drop a few % they become liabilities.
    Elphick is dross but more reliable than Chester.
    Axel is a kid who understandably is prone to clangers.
    Hutton, well he just has no positional radar. The goal against the dwellers was instinctual, he just ran like Forrest Gump, had he been tackled or fallen over we were ‘effed’ defencively.
    Taylor and Elmo are dreadful.
    Nyland is sometimes a good shot stopper, but as DS has said, that’s the very least that he expects from a GK. He offers no more.
    Bolasie tackles himself, but to be fair, he puts the wind up defenders.
    Kick El Ghazi and it’s game over.
    Whelan is too old to cover both the midfield and defence for more than 45 mins.
    I like Birkir, but his distribution is worrying.
    Adomah blows more cold than hot.Same with Hourihane, who needs too many touches.
    That leaves Tammy, Jack and McGinn to run themselves into an early grave.
    Come to think of it, DS has done a remarkable job with the hand that he was dealt.

Hey ho, Onwards & Upwards we go into the transfer/loan window.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledvillan View Post
    Have to agree Dave, those dropped points at west brom, home to forest and the capitulation against leeds has wiped out any hope of automatic promotion.
    Too many players are useless and need to be at 100% capability just to be average. Once they drop a few % they become liabilities.
    Elphick is dross but more reliable than Chester.
    Axel is a kid who understandably is prone to clangers.
    Hutton, well he just has no positional radar. The goal against the dwellers was instinctual, he just ran like Forrest Gump, had he been tackled or fallen over we were ‘effed’ defencively.
    Taylor and Elmo are dreadful.
    Nyland is sometimes a good shot stopper, but as DS has said, that’s the very least that he expects from a GK. He offers no more.
    Bolasie tackles himself, but to be fair, he puts the wind up defenders.
    Kick El Ghazi and it’s game over.
    Whelan is too old to cover both the midfield and defence for more than 45 mins.
    I like Birkir, but his distribution is worrying.
    Adomah blows more cold than hot.Same with Hourihane, who needs too many touches.
    That leaves Tammy, Jack and McGinn to run themselves into an early grave.
    Come to think of it, DS has done a remarkable job with the hand that he was dealt.

Hey ho, Onwards & Upwards we go into the transfer/loan window.
    Apart from that everything's rosy eh Exiled

Typical Villa. Saw that line up and called a Leeds victory. Next thing I know we are 2-0 up and things look rosy. By half time reality sunk in. Leeds were too good and should be back in this game. I told Bluesince62 we could well lose this even now. We stormed out of the gates on fire. Could we win this? Then Kodjia missed a great chance and at 3-0 up I am sure we couldn’t screw that up. But, instead Leeds took over. Poor defending by Elmo for the second match running then we made Jenssen once again look like Andy Gray against us on set pieces. But, at 2-2 we got a foothold in the game. There was a throw back to 1981 as the fans warmly saluted Ron Saunders in the 81st minute and the side suddenly looked a like that great team for such a short time led by Thor looking like Sir Dennis driving at the Leeds defenders but Abraham didn’t get the memo that he needed to play the 1-2 with ‘Mortimer’ and the spell ended. Finally Leeds took advantage of more amateur defending by Elmo and we lost all the points.

The blame as stated above was with Bruce as we played with 3 right backs in the back four. I wonder if Revins would have been any worse than any of them?

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    Apart from that everything's rosy eh Exiled
    Good shout WCV , I can be a right grumpy auld bollix at times.

I just allowed myself to hope when we changed things at HQ. We still have the sh1te that the previous manager brought to the club, I should’ve realised that this shower would not be able to keep the facade up for long. We saw it brewing v forest and stoke, leeds must've as well, and boy did they take us to school, 2-3 flattered us.

We have a bloody good manager, with an excellent backroom team and 2 or 3 really good players. Most teams can carry a weak link for a while, not sure if Jack, Tammy and Mcginn can carry the other 8!!!!
    I do think that Birkir, El Ghazi, Bolasie are fine, if inconstant, and that Hourihane, Axel (out for 6 weeks), and Albert are good enough for the bench.
    Who knows, this Kalinic could well make a difference, but those 4 in front of him are still incapable of positional awareness and lack distributional acumen.

Over to you Deano, all the very best to ya mate.

Tis the hope that kills you.

Onwards & Upwards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)