+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Away form

I was actually very surprised when I read we'd equalled a record for away wins - I guess the form generally has felt quite inconsistent since the turn of the year, but most of the dodgy results have been at home I suppose.
    Teams coming to Pittodrie and sitting in, playing for a draw and trying to hit on the break, is probably the reason - more difficult to break them down - but we should have the players to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    I was actually very surprised when I read we'd equalled a record for away wins - I guess the form generally has felt quite inconsistent since the turn of the year, but most of the dodgy results have been at home I suppose.
    Teams coming to Pittodrie and sitting in, playing for a draw and trying to hit on the break, is probably the reason - more difficult to break them down - but we should have the players to do it.
    Absolutely, we do miss the creativity of McLean.

We play with not enough attacking players at Pittodrie and that costs us points.

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    We play with not enough attacking players at Pittodrie and that costs us points.
    Yeah, most teams just sit in when they come to Pittodrie - we could sacrifice a holding midfielder for another striker.

Yeah, most teams just sit in when they come to Pittodrie - we could sacrifice a holding midfielder for another striker.
    And make it easier for them to defend by closing out the spaces

Some folk would rather we play with 2 goalkeepers so that it opens up more space.

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    Some folk would rather we play with 2 goalkeepers so that it opens up more space.
    Haha I'm not getting involved in taking sides, as I enjoy both yours and AFC1903's contributions - different opinions keep things interesting!

I get the point AFC is making - but I feel that having 2 forwards to aim at when you're putting balls into the box in a tight game is always going to be better than having 1 forward to aim at. At the very least we should drop a defensive midfielder and play an attacking midfielder, even if it is in a deeper role so we have some more creativity, rather than just passing side to side all day long. I do feel that our movement up front could be a bit better in these home games as well, and our distribution from the back is woeful most of the time.

Good run to be on. We should play away all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Good run to be on. We should play away all the time
    That's maybe the idea behind the move to Kingsford.

Trying to re-create the away-day atmosphere at home games

Out of the box thinking by the AFC board

Haha I'm not getting involved in taking sides, as I enjoy both yours and AFC1903's contributions - different opinions keep things interesting!

I get the point AFC is making - but I feel that having 2 forwards to aim at when you're putting balls into the box in a tight game is always going to be better than having 1 forward to aim at. At the very least we should drop a defensive midfielder and play an attacking midfielder, even if it is in a deeper role so we have some more creativity, rather than just passing side to side all day long. I do feel that our movement up front could be a bit better in these home games as well, and our distribution from the back is woeful most of the time.
    2 Goalkeepers.
    Whoever came up with the suggestion shows their lack of even the most basic of footballing knowledge.
    For the avoidance of doubt, it is against the laws of the game to field two goalkeepers at the same time.
    If it were allowed, Sarri could have had Kepa Arrizabalaga and Willie Caballero in goals for the penalty shoot out yesterday, problem solved

Saturday was a perfect example of exploiting space.
    Both goals came from a defender (Ball) stepping into midfield to win the ball and releasing our "defensive" midfield captain to score from shots outside the box.

Would that space have been there if we were to play a more attacking formation?
    The game against St Mirren showed that there was not space when we played a more attacking lineup (3-4-2-1).

You've hit the nail on the head though, movement in crucial.
    Of course having the space to move into helps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast