+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Dumfries - Butchers Shops

Quote Originally Posted by wacqos View Post
    Ftivano1 and Auld Chippy you are both right about it being a launderette and throwing you the clue but roll back one.
    What was it before a launderette? There is a connection if you can remember what shops existed between the BBBS and Thomsons the Jewellers on the High Street. Same company had a shop there too next to Lawsons the furniture shop and it is not Grieve's the travel agent.
    Back to English Street. TB Watson had a barbers shop in the basement of the gents shop but where else did they have one?
    And could I get a haircut any where else on English Street between the Barrel and Pioli's chip shop?
    T.B. Watson's had a drapers shop right across the road from where their current wine and spirits place is. Think it could be part of the Queensberry hotel now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    T.B. Watson's had a drapers shop right across the road from where their current wine and spirits place is. Think it could be part of the Queensberry hotel now.
    FAO Wac - did a firm called Coopers have a shop in English Street opposite the Barrel and also another up the toon ?

FAO Wac - did a firm called Coopers have a shop in English Street opposite the Barrel and also another up the toon ?
    You are bang on right!!
    Coopers also had the shop that became the Bradford & Bingley BS across from the Midsteeple. They were one of the first shops in the town to go "self service" or a supermarket as we know it now. I think they got taken over by Fine Fare and ultimately left the town.
    TB Watson gents barber moved from the corner in the basement to the current whisky shop! They closed the Barber, went back to drinks and across the road closed the ladies drapery and Kerr Little opened up the restaurant.
    As for mad Eck, was that not Eric McMinn who had his own barber at Muirs between Dickies and Pioli's chip shop?
    And of course Adam Copeland had the shop across from Norman's Furnishing.
    I have enjoyed the thread but to bring it to a close for the time being am I right to think that we had 5 Ironmongers in the town and one of them had 2 shops but where?

Rankines in High St, Jardine in Queensberry St, and Welsh in The Vennel are 3 Ironmongers that spring to mind. Can't think k of any more atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Auld_Chippy View Post
    Rankines in High St, Jardine in Queensberry St, and Welsh in The Vennel are 3 Ironmongers that spring to mind. Can't think k of any more atm.
    Kellys in the High Street and Armstrongs in Church Crescent

Kellys in the High Street and Armstrongs in Church Crescent
    I have had information in that Kellys was commonly known as "Tin Whistle Kelly"

How could I forget.... Wallace the butcher now the Polish shop at the corner of the High Street and Bank Street(was also Cranstons) Wallace used to have a "store/workshop" in Mannering Avenue Lochside.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagapapa View Post
    I have had information in that Kellys was commonly known as "Tin Whistle Kelly"
    I had a Saturday job in Ironmongers section in Kellys on the High street for a couple of years around the mid 1970's which unfortunately prevented me going to Queens games but managed to get to those wonderful midweek cup games of that time. The brother, Tin Whistle Kelly, had the shop in the Vennel.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    I had a Saturday job in Ironmongers section in Kellys on the High street for a couple of years around the mid 1970's which unfortunately prevented me going to Queens games but managed to get to those wonderful midweek cup games of that time. The brother, Tin Whistle Kelly, had the shop in the Vennel.
    Spike was one of the Kelly brothers a very, very tall man ?

Incidentally guys, spike, chippy, bruce etc. This thread is bringing great joy to myself personally as my dad who is now becoming more isolated from things with alzheimers is loving hearing of these places and that he recalls most of them. Hearing lots of stories from him about times and places long gone by. Any others got anything to add to this thread. Not football related I know. But it would be much appreciated. Anything that keeps his memory alive.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)