+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chris Hughton sacked by Brighton

Chris Hughton sacked by Brighton

Brighton have sacked manager Chris Hughton after the Seagulls finished 17th in the Premier League.

They won just three of their last 23 league games and none of their final nine.

Chairman Tony Bloom said that run "put our status at significant risk".

Hughton, who joined Albion in December 2014, led the club to the Premier League for the first time in 2017, and they finished 15th in their first season back in the top flight.

Swansea boss Graham Potter, 43, who joined the club from Swedish side Ostersunds in 2018, is the favourite with the bookmakers to replace Hughton.

Hughton, 60, who was contracted until 2021, also took the club to the FA Cup semi-final this season, where they lost 1-0 to Manchester City.

I think the Brighton board are an ungrateful lot. He kept them up so that's another £100 Million+ for their next financial year. That's 3 years on the trot that he's earned the owner and board well over £300 million +.

I firmly believe that Hughton is a great Manager who deals with all kinds of diversity and barriers in his role. He kept Newcastle up against all odds and was rewarded with the sack.

Today's Premiership owners think nothing other than retaining status and rightly so, but they should at least reward their Managers if status is kept, so they may try again the following season.

Tough luck Chris and I trust you're back in employment soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Brighton have sacked manager Chris Hughton after the Seagulls finished 17th in the Premier League.

They won just three of their last 23 league games and none of their final nine.

Chairman Tony Bloom said that run "put our status at significant risk".

Hughton, who joined Albion in December 2014, led the club to the Premier League for the first time in 2017, and they finished 15th in their first season back in the top flight.

Swansea boss Graham Potter, 43, who joined the club from Swedish side Ostersunds in 2018, is the favourite with the bookmakers to replace Hughton.

Hughton, 60, who was contracted until 2021, also took the club to the FA Cup semi-final this season, where they lost 1-0 to Manchester City.

I think the Brighton board are an ungrateful lot. He kept them up so that's another £100 Million+ for their next financial year. That's 3 years on the trot that he's earned the owner and board well over £300 million +.

I firmly believe that Hughton is a great Manager who deals with all kinds of diversity and barriers in his role. He kept Newcastle up against all odds and was rewarded with the sack.

Today's Premiership owners think nothing other than retaining status and rightly so, but they should at least reward their Managers if status is kept, so they may try again the following season.

Tough luck Chris and I trust you're back in employment soon.
    Agree Brin. He’s done a solid job. Who’d be a football manager?

Agree brin. Top manager.. he won't to unemployment for long

Wonder how many Chairmen from, Villa, Cardiff, Fulham, Leeds, Swansea, Huddersfield et al wouldn't have minded his services over the last 3 years?

Who would be a football manager?
    Me.
    I would have thought he is a very wealthy unemployed person.
    Agree it's harsh though

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Who would be a football manager?
    Me.
    I would have thought he is a very wealthy unemployed person.
    Agree it's harsh though
    Flour, albeit he is wealthy, pride does appeal to some Manager's and not just the money for being sacked. It's not like he cost them relegation, add to the fact the gate receipts from the FA Cup semi final, and you have to wonder just what the Brighton board want?

It's Chairmen like this you want it to go tits up for.

Ridiculous. Keeping a club like Brighton up is as much as can be reasonably hoped for. Hope they go down next season after that.

The return of Uncle Colin

Wasn't he sacked from Newcastle whilst int Prem after guiding them there as well?

It was rumoured some weeks back that he was going to be replaced. Replacing him with someone who has less experience than him, having not won anything in the game as a manager whilst being in England will go down great and go down they will!

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    The return of Uncle Colin
    Keeping with the same theme of just trying to avoid relegation with someone who is excellent at getting promotion is barmy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast