+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: F.A. Cup Day

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    Totally agree. This article sums it up for me.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...ball-is-broken
    It's a great article. I suppose it's all about what you want from football. When I go to NYS, I'm looking forward to meeting up with mates, an entertaining game and hopefully 3 points or a good draw against a bigger club - probably in that order. I always remember the unenthusiastic reception that Sterling's first goal received at the Etihad in their 7-0 demolition of us. To me that summed up the problem with upper Premier League football - for the Man City fans there was no excitement, no passion and no point in being there unless you were into sadistic executions. Give me a couple of pints in the NY Tavern, an end-to-end match and an injury time winner any day!

In what was a huff and puff backs to the wall season for us we managed to scrape together 40 points

In the Premiership Watford finished 48 points behind Man City

Quote Originally Posted by jocksgloves View Post
    But for VAR in the Spurs semi-final, City would be playing Liverpool in the final, which they would probably have won.
    Yes but they,ve 'probably ' been going to win it for years and never have.
    They,ve not even got to the final and relying on VAR is a bit poor

They'll probably win it next year.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    But that's just like saying that getting rid of the maximum wage was a good thing. Or is it the three point system that you're against? I can put down EUFA and the restructuring of the Champions league as a more viable reason for the misbalance of wealth in football. Was that just a delay of the European super league that will allow football to reasurect itself.

Would a franchise system into a European super league be a better way?
    Frog, I don't claim to expertise and my JH comment was slightly t-in-c. However, I don't think misbalance in wealth per se is the main problem. What we have seen is a situation similar to that experienced in Europe when Spain began to import vast amounts of gold and silver from the Americas which led in part to rapid inflation and social dislocation. The prime problem in football imo derives from TV (and overseas merchandising) money which has fed through to ridiculous player wages and transfer fees.

Btw Frog, just to get some context: I know many on here don't rate snooker, calling it a pub game etc. But with snooker there's no hiding, no subjectivity as you can see average breaks per player, numbers of centuries, number of 147s, ranking tournaments won etc. Now quite a few people think that Ronnie O'Sullivan is a genius and that Hendry, Trump, Higgins, Selby, Robertson and Ding are pretty good too. Yet only one player has career earnings over £10m and he's been playing at the top for 25 years, only one player has once earned more than £1m in a year and the average yearly earnings of the top 5 players (£5-600K) - players who I suspect have a higher international profile than most footballers is less than that of many bog standard Championship footballers. Wages in football are just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    Btw Frog, just to get some context: I know many on here don't rate snooker, calling it a pub game etc. But with snooker there's no hiding, no subjectivity as you can see average breaks per player, numbers of centuries, number of 147s, ranking tournaments won etc. Now quite a few people think that Ronnie O'Sullivan is a genius and that Hendry, Trump, Higgins, Selby, Robertson and Ding are pretty good too. Yet only one player has career earnings over £10m and he's been playing at the top for 25 years, only one player has once earned more than £1m in a year and the average yearly earnings of the top 5 players (£5-600K) - players who I suspect have a higher international profile than most footballers is less than that of many bog standard Championship footballers. Wages in football are just stupid.
    A very skillful sport however there are no sliding tackles and a diving header could see you with a dinted head.

The one quote that I hear said and used too often to justify the high wages is that it's a short career. What a load of crap that is because they don't lose the use of their limbs when they finish and could take up a ob with the rest of us.

There is a coach in the game that has earned more in the last two years than he did in his entire playing career.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    A very skillful sport however there are no sliding tackles and a diving header could see you with a dinted head.
    Frog, you obviously didn't see Hurricane Higgins headbutting Paul Hathersall!
    Last edited by frogmiller; 21-05-2019 at 07:55 AM. Reason: I didn't change owt , I hit the wrong icon

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    Frog, you obviously didn't see Hurricane Higgins headbutting Paul Hathersall!
    No I didn't

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456