+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Maximising our assets

Maximising our assets

Are we doing this?

Just thinking about our record signing, Jon Taylor. Stayed 3 years and then left at the end of his contract. I think we also paid a fee for Newell?

Hindsight is a great thing, but could we have done better in managing those resources? Could we have sold Taylor a year ago?

I guess if we had stayed up the answers would be different, but if we are becoming a club that buys young talent and sells them on after a few years, should we be letting contracts run down?

Difficult one.
    I think most of us who go the game together thought neither Taylor or Newell good enough for the championship so wouldn’t expect us to demand any significant fees.
    We kind of needed them because of the position we were in so didn’t contemplate selling them.
    Now we have gone down we know we will have to sell Vaulks and Ajayi.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket rocket View Post
    Difficult one.
    I think most of us who go the game together thought neither Taylor or Newell good enough for the championship so wouldn’t expect us to demand any significant fees.
    We kind of needed them because of the position we were in so didn’t contemplate selling them.
    Now we have gone down we know we will have to sell Vaulks and Ajayi.
    Do you know what Rocket, I don't think that either Vaulks or Ajayi are in a rush to leave.

Playing devil's advocate. Let's say the fee we could get is around 2.5M for each of them. How do we know there aren't 'pre-contract' agreements in place with some unnamed clubs to split that fee with the player in lieu of waiting 12 months? On the flip side of course they don't have the player for a year and the player risks losing it all through injury. It's become common practice in the NFL for player's to 'hold out' in the last year of their contract, effectively refusing to play and taking the fines dished out for doing so in lieu of avoiding injury and being able to sign lucrative multi year deals once a free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by PerigordMiller View Post
    Are we doing this?

Just thinking about our record signing, Jon Taylor. Stayed 3 years and then left at the end of his contract. I think we also paid a fee for Newell?

Hindsight is a great thing, but could we have done better in managing those resources? Could we have sold Taylor a year ago?

I guess if we had stayed up the answers would be different, but if we are becoming a club that buys young talent and sells them on after a few years, should we be letting contracts run down?
    Or....we`ve had 3 years out of him including a promotion,so maybe good value money,plus we would have never sold him last year as we had just been promoted.

The message was: "No pressure to sell" so the offer for our better players will have to be significant.

The consistency jury is still out on the majority of the squad so championship clubs won't be squabbling too much for signatures.

So playing for a club thats a big fish in a smaller pond than last year and the promise of a contract until senility strikes if Wood is the benchmark....then some players may prefer to stay here - comfortable and playing happy families.

Makes you think why some players have chosen to leave such a utopian set up.

I still think resources have to be put into coaches (not the wheeled ones), and coaching.

We’ve got the fitness side tied down, and probably goalkeeping.

But there’s still a big question mark over defensive coaching, our tactics are predictable and “forward” skills like taking on players, hitting passes more consistently, crossing on the run and getting more shots on target all need improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    I still think resources have to be put into coaches (not the wheeled ones), and coaching.

We’ve got the fitness side tied down, and probably goalkeeping.

But there’s still a big question mark over defensive coaching, our tactics are predictable and “forward” skills like taking on players, hitting passes more consistently, crossing on the run and getting more shots on target all need improvement
    Amazing how we pay people 5K a week and they can't even perform the basics of their job but someone working at McD puts on too many pickles and they are out of the door!

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Amazing how we pay people 5K a week and they can't even perform the basics of their job but someone working at McD puts on too many pickles and they are out of the door!
    Eric or Wilfred?

Sam Fox certainly did.