+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Smith leaving a good thing?

Is Smith leaving a good thing?

Controversial title but my view is that we need a re set in the Championship. We have gone down the last 3 times as we have not scored enough goals.

Our game at times has been based on the long ball to Smith. So Smith leaving gives us the chance to try something different, yes a big lad might be useful for the last 20 mins if we are hanging on and need an out ball or we are trying to snatch a goal late on and bringing Eaves in gives us that option. That is how Hull have used him.

We now have the option of trying to play in a different way, our team is set up in midfield to be able to play more on the break with a better passing game rather than the long ball we can I believe score more goals at this level.

I understand despite what Warne may say that a big push is being made to get Cole Stockton and Tom Barkhuizen in and Will Grigg will be back. So that would give us 4 strikers plus Barkhuizen who looks like an Ogbene replacement. Kayode and Kelly I believe will both be out on loan.

Alex Cochrane from Brighton may be the left sided player to replace Mattock. Hopefully Reg comes back two more central defenders the lad from Leeds on loan and we are starting to get somewhere.

What do you think? Do you agree Smith leaving may be a blessing?

It’s not Smith that insists with the long ball, if he leaves it’ll still be long ball if Warney wants that route again, personally I don’t think he will.

I still think Smith should stay but if he leaves then so be it but the changes are down to management wanting to try something different which I’m all for

I think we didn't need a new thread. All been said

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    I think we didn't need a new thread. All been said
    Like all the other multiple threads?

It's a fair point and certainly food for thought. We do have to, at least, try something different this time around and I agree with Henson that our major strengths are in midfield. If we lost Smith (almost certain) and brought in Cole Stockton then I'd be ok with that.

I fully accept that Stockton could well be a one season wonder, but it could be argued the same with Smith. I saw Stockton a couple of times last season (I'm guessing most of us did) and he looked the part. I was really hoping we'd sign the CH from Accrington but I'm told we are MILES away from the fee that Stanley want.

Grigg back Kelly out on loan if that happens we need to rip it up & start again! Not bothered if Smith & Ihiekwe go just want upwardly mobile replacements

Have I missed something, where's he gone then ?
    And when did Ogbene leave ?

I have heard that Jake Clarke- Salter could be on his way to us on loan.

I think we have had the best years out off smudge he prob has 1 more season before he starts to go down hill.

I think we should forget about him and Icky and focus on replacements more than trying to keep them.

With the original post is the team good enough in the championship for the passing game?

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    I have heard that Jake Clarke- Salter could be on his way to us on loan.
    Going to qpr according to the nationals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast