+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T Incident Trent Enbankment/Meadows area

O/T Incident Trent Enbankment/Meadows area

... today c1.30pm ... perhaps facts will emerge, but, all travelling along the Enbankment in emergency mode, 3 police cars, 4 ambulances, 3 fire engines and medi-copter. And some wonder where the money goes ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... today c1.30pm ... perhaps facts will emerge, but, all travelling along the Enbankment in emergency mode, 3 police cars, 4 ambulances, 3 fire engines and medi-copter. And some wonder where the money goes ...
    It's a rescue mission, a man in the river.

Hope all are OK. What's the money bit about? I'd like to think that trying to save lives is worth a few bob.

ETA:

"An emergency incident was called after a man went into the water at around 1.15pm on Bank Holiday Monday (August 26).

Nicola Rose, who lives in The Meadows, said: "There are nine fire engines, four ambulances and two police cars.

"There is an under water search team and more sirens are coming.

"There are loads of flashing lights and my daughter has just seen the air ambulance landing."

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/live-updates-large-number-emergency-3251985
    Last edited by SwalePie; 26-08-2019 at 01:20 PM.

The money went on trying to save a man's life. Ultimately it was in vain and he died, but still worth every penny trying.

A man died, sadly. I was walking past the incident at about 2.30pm and could see a Police diver in the water and a woman in floods of tears near the Police van. Whenever you see such scenes you think that for those involved would have started the morning expecting to enjoy a very pleasant day out in the sun, and then it turns into disaster. I've no idea whether he entered the water by accident or misadventure, but it shows how dangerous the currents of the Trent can be.

I agree about the emergency services, they were clearly doing everything they could. I'm sure they wish that the warnings about the dangers of open water, which they issue every year, would result in fewer drowning incidents.
    Last edited by jackal2; 26-08-2019 at 06:35 PM.

... sad waste of a life - self-inflicted though unintended and perhaps fool-hardy. Not the same as but falls into the category of other self inflicted wasters of public resources such as users/abusers of drugs and drink requiring public services.

There are some unusual characters on this site.

A few days ago it was the man who communicates with strangers on a train by kicking them in the shins, now it's the man whose first thought upon learning of a death in the Trent is the Home Office petrol tab.

Takes all sorts I suppose.

What a bizarre comment. They will be getting paid whether they are sat in the station waiting for a call or whether they are out trying to save people.

... even with the benefit of hindsight, looked like resource overload. You don't need the heli-med for a two mile journey to the QMC - it can't even land there; or three fire appliances. My grouse is that resources are diverted away from cases of genuine need by those who self inflict. Some moan about the NHS, but how often do you see two ambulances (sometimes more) at one shout ... and before anyone picks me up on that, due to an illness with my wife, we had three ambulances show (and nowhere near a town). That's all ...

At the outset of an incident, it's often unclear exactly what has happened, how many people are involved and what resources are needed. Presumably the helicopter was carrying a trauma doctor who might have been in a position to save a life. The fire service can be invaluable in water rescues, they used to practise this sort of rescue opposite our house regularly. And obviously the police, and police divers, have a ***** role. I'm sure if resources could be spared and were needed elsewhere, they would have been diverted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast