+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 103 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: 📈Form Table Thread

📈Form Table Thread

Not sure if this will be interesting or not but thought I might start a form table thread and update it after each game.

It’s interesting that based on the last 6 games we are currently 8th in the form table. Compare that to 15th if you include the first 3 games as well, which is of course our current league position.

Interestingly we have lost just 1 of the last 6 games and that in a game many were saying we should have won at Yeovil. We also have a +4 GD, courtesy of that freak second half v Chorley. We have a ppg average of 1.5 for the last 6 games.

I’ve copied and pasted on my iPad so I apologise if the quality is rubbish, you can view the full table here https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=5

Name:  DFFE5E48-1C1A-47EC-9178-F07DEF2C0EFB.jpg
Views: 31845
Size:  21.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SwalePie; 31-10-2022 at 02:56 PM.

Yes, very interesting.

I really don't know what to think at the moment. On one hand it seems it's been a poor start, but then I look at it again and I do think we're moving forward.

Interestingly, four of the other teams who were seen as promotion candidates with us were AFC Fylde, Chesterfield, Harrogate & Solihull. They don't have the excuse of having to get used to a new league and look where they are!

That is actually interesting, a couple of back to back wins and we would actually be in a decent position

I think Neal Ardley alluded to this in his post match interview after Solihull game on Tuesday night that we had lost one in the last six.

It is important to look at games in blocks of six as it is a good snapshot of current form. If we win today then we will be in a good place as current form goes and will be showing progress.

I think the problem we have is firstly we are playing in non-league for the first time, and also we are arguably the biggest club in this league. So by default we are playing teams we have never played before and therefore fans expectations are automatically raised. Of course we all want us to be top of the table but maybe this season could be a slow burner.

Secondly our performances to date have been very Jekyll and Hyde and even during games themselves (Chorley being an example) where we were awful first half but we’re clinically ruthless in front of goal second half.

Thirdly our passing from the back style of football has at times been a bit more cautious than fans would want, particularly at home.

Lastly as I’ve said before on here to be a top ten side we need to turn these up and down performances into more consistent performances in which we take our chances and be solid at the back. Whilst Tuesday was an awful horrible game and one to forget, we got it right defensively. If we can do the above then we can turn draws to wins and will then climb the table. Sounds easy when it’s written down doesn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Yes, very interesting.

I really don't know what to think at the moment. On one hand it seems it's been a poor start, but then I look at it again and I do think we're moving forward.

Interestingly, four of the other teams who were seen as promotion candidates with us were AFC Fylde, Chesterfield, Harrogate & Solihull. They don't have the excuse of having to get used to a new league and look where they are!
    And they didn't have to assemble a squad three days before the season started. The word "excuses" is thrown around a lot at the moment when actually there are genuine, legitimate reasons why it just wasn't logical to believe Notts County Football Club would start the season well. Football fans will spout off and demand better because that's what football fans do, but in reality it would have been highly surprising if we had been near the top of the table at this stage. This was always likely to be a season of consolidation and stabilisation and if it eventually turned out to be more than that, it would be a huge bonus.

Having said all of that, I would agree that Neal Ardley now has a squad of players of ample calibre and depth to compete in this league, and I think we're reaching the point where the players' fitness shouldn't be such an issue, and where the team is getting some decent time on the training pitch.

At the moment in the overall table we've lost one more than we've won and drawn quite a lot. The aim over the next couple of months must be to minimise the number of defeats and start converting some of those draws into wins. It might be a while yet before we look like a truly cohesive team that plays attractive football, but we should have enough to grind out some results even if it's not especially pretty to watch. I'll be happy come November if we're anywhere in the top half of the table, and then hopefully we can continue to build from there. .

Thanks for this thread. The reality shown here is so much better than some would have us believe. Let's hope today is a positive result.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Thanks for this thread. The reality shown here is so much better than some would have us believe. Let's hope today is a positive result.
    Ive been mulling it over since Tuesday night, mainly because I’m as much to blame as anyone when it comes to criticism of the team and NA’s tactics in particular. The stats would indicate we are on an upward trajectory but that contradicts the quality of the football we have been subjected to so far.

Of course we have no idea what the future holds, things can get a lot worse as well as getting better but what we do know is what has passed and this might be an interesting way to monitor our progress throughout the season.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Ive been mulling it over since Tuesday night, mainly because I’m as much to blame as anyone when it comes to criticism of the team and NA’s tactics in particular. The stats would indicate we are on an upward trajectory but that contradicts the quality of the football we have been subjected to so far.

Of course we have no idea what the future holds, things can get a lot worse as well as getting better but what we do know is what has passed and this might be an interesting way to monitor our progress throughout the season.
    Two of the last 6 were against the bottom 2 and we've had a bunch of opponents on losing streaks. We're still poor. Things might improve, but let's not pretend this has been anything other than a poor start. Not terrible, but poor.

That snapshot of form does disguise that we have played very poorly ,the two wins were games of two halves where for 45 minutes we were second best by a long way, should we lose or draw with Sutton today and the harrogate result moves off the form table it looks a lot worse than it does this morning.and in my opinion more realistic to Ardleys overall form since joining the club,
    Short term form doesnt mean much i prefer to look at longer term trends, a draw today which seems about par for a NA team and some will say we have lost one in six,others will say we've only won one in six, still others will say 7 points from 18 isn't good enough.
    just saying

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Two of the last 6 were against the bottom 2 and we've had a bunch of opponents on losing streaks. We're still poor. Things might improve, but let's not pretend this has been anything other than a poor start. Not terrible, but poor.
    I would tend to agree, we really need to win today because the remaining fixtures this month are not going to be easy and we need to go into those games with some confidence in the changing room. A defeat today and things could be very glum indeed as we head into October.

Page 1 of 103 1231151101 ... LastLast